Starting my first SW tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chefinator

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello, i am new on this site. Found out about it from researching about SW tanks online so i decided to make my own account and be able to post and ask my own questions here. I have had multiple Fresh Water tanks for years now and i have always wanted to have my own SW tank. My birthday is coming up soon so i think asa nice present for myselft i am going to start on my own SW project.
So i know there is lots to know so any information and tips will be gladly appreciated! So after my research so far i have decided with doing a 100g tank. I have contacted aqua inspiration to make a tank to fit a handmade stand ive had sitting in my house for years now. Ive decided to go with live reef.
My list is:
-light
-heater
-thermometer
-skimmer (either bubble king, vertex)
-uv sterilizer
-salt leveler
-sump tank (wanting to use my 20g tank for it?)
Is there anything ive missed or have wrong? I am just wanting to get a look at roughly what i am needing for the initial start up of the tank. I have many questions but ill wait to ask as they come up dont want to put to much out there for now. All replies will be appreciated! thank you

One of the most important items you will need is a refractometer to check salinaty.

someone told me to get a salt level checker, i am guessing that is a refractometer? sorry i just dont know all the terms. Am i missing anything else? Also would u be able to try and tell me how the tank should be set up? i know the skimmer should be in the sump tank. but how do you connect them to eachother? and everything else goes in the display (main) tank??
thank you!

Yes a refractometer is used to check your salt level. My skimmer just sits in my sump.

Best to use a refractometer to check salinaty. Like Purplepolyp said don't add salt to top off evaporated water.

First welcome.

If your having a tank made then you can have them drill the tank for drains that go down into your sump. As well as the return lines from the sump to the tank. If not you can use an overflow box that sits on the main tank that drains water down into the sump.

Typically if you have a sump the heaters and skimmer goes in that.

Some other equipment you will need is a return pump that pumps water from the sump back into the tank. Also you will need power heads to create water flow in the tank. Additionally you need test kits for ammonia nitrate and nitrates at a minimum to make sure your water is good. If using corals you will want more kits for calcium and alkalinity along with others.

There is tons of equipment you can get but that along with what you mentioned are the basics.

Corals require good lighting and will arguably be your biggest expense other than the tank.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask

Back
Top Bottom