Starting my first SW tank: Snowflake Eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buxndux

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone, I'm new to the saltwater world, yet I've really enjoyed the process of getting started! My goal is to eventually get a snowflake eel. Ive heard they're usually pretty easy to maintain once the water parameters are somewhat stable.. Any good advice from previous/present owner would be great!

My setup so far is a 55 gallon breeder with a king 225 gph power head with two canister filters with a total of 354 gph of filtration. I also have two 200 watt heaters. I also purchased a sky 731 protein skimmer for $40. I know the price sounds sketchy but I've done some research and its actually not a bad product if put to the right water line. Unfortunately, I do not have a sump, and this is an in sump protein skimmer. Could I attach it to the inside of my tank until I decide if I want to put in a sump? I would like to install a sump but am worried about overflow issues since I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building.. Also I do not have any room under my stand so I will have to place the sump on top of a dresser. This shouldn't be an issues right? Would bulkheads be the best bet for the return?

I know i'm kind of all over the place but any helpful hints would be great!

Thanks guys,

Beau

The biggest concern I see with the set up is most store bought furniture can't support that amount of weight for sustained periods of time. Be sure it can first, then sure, it can be next to it.

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sounds like a possibility. I'll probably only have a 20 gal. Sump though so it should be fine right? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401035567.514939.jpg Here's the dresser. And it's quite heavy I might add...

Is the dresser what the tank sits on, the sump, or both?

I've got the tank on a wood stand from the previous owner. Appears to be in really good shape. The sump/Refugium 20 gallon would ideally be placed on top of my white dresser. Would that work?

That should be fine, I was afraid you were going to have the whole set up in there lol

Hope not, hopefully the tops of both are at the same height

The bottom of the sump would be level with the top of the 55gal. Why wouldn't that work? I've seen two tanks in my zoology building that had small sump/refugiums right above the main tank

As long as you are using check valves, so in the event of a power outage, one didn't overflow the other due to siphon, you're fine

Coming from someone who has one you won't really see them except feeding time so I would get some active fish to go with it. Also no cuc

That's what I've read and I'm fine with that. Might establish a maroon clown or something before the eel to get my tank accustomed to a bio load before adding the eel. Haven't done much research on tank mates yet. What other fish do you have with your eel?

Cuc is clean up crew. You have to pick tank mates they can't get into their mouths or they are likely to be expensive snacks

That's what I've read. Seems like practically any crustacean will disappear after awhile. How vital is it to have crabs and shrimp of the sorts in the tank? I've got 40lbs of aragonite and soon to have 50-60lbs of live rock

It's not, you would be fine without them. They would be eel food anyway

As long as you are using check valves, so in the event of a power outage, one didn't overflow the other due to siphon, you're fine

Why would you need check valves? This is really no different than a standard sump / refugium setup.

Take the food to them or they will swim round biting at anything that moves. I have blue throat trigger, Stars and Stripes puffer, foxface and yellow tang. Just got for big fish. In 55 maybe a dwarf lion would be ok. Again not a very active fish though.

Cool thanks for the advice. I was looking at lions but ruled them out because they just sit around too. Wanted to get a puffer but my tank isn't big enough based on the research I've done. Except maybe Toby's. Also read and heard from some experienced aquarists that tangs don't thrive in 55 gallon tanks. Was thinking maybe a maroon clown and a trigger?

You won't get a trigger for a 55 I have a blue throat which are more mild than most and he picks on everything in my tank, maroon clown should be ok and yeah Toby would be fine. Toby's are cool too I had valentini in my old tank .... Just as much personality as a bigger puffer just smaller. Maybe a dwarf angle too?

Back
Top Bottom