Starting my first tank. 55gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reisy00

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am just looking for any information people can give me. I am going to by using all live sand and live rock. Do I mix my water and run it for a couple days then add my sand and rock? Any info would be great. :thanks:

I'd add the sand and rock then the water. Makes sure you have a sturdy aquascape :)

by adding the live sand and rock before the water wont that kill the good critters. Or should I be heating and testing the water before I add it to the tank?

When I set up mine I put the water in to about half way, added the salt and heater, powerhead. Let it heat up for a day. Then put in the live rock, then added more SW from buckets till about 80% full. Then added the live sand. That way, any sand digging fish I get won't topple the rocks and get crushed by falling rocks. I did mine during the warmer months, so temp of water wasn't really an issue, as it might be now (depending on where you live). Then I let it cycle for about a month.

Oh yeah, I also hooked up my filter at that time so it could cycle. Forgot to add that part. :)

Back
Top Bottom