Starting My new RedSea Max 250

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newsaltwater

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got my new RSM 250 on Saturday and set it up. I started my RO/DI water Friday morning and 65 gallons completed. I cleaned out the tank and put the water in and mixed the salt in the tank. I then put in some dry rock and waited until Sunday to put in the dry sand and some live sand. I am only running my 2 pumps and not the protein filter or any biological filters. I put in so Bio chem that my lfs recommended to help seed the rock and a shrimp. Well now I am just waiting and I do like the tank but hey I am a newbie. I have read a lot on this forum and a lot of other forums but this forum makes the most since.
The RMS 250 is not loud as people said it would be. The lights are nice and the pumps are strong. I ordered 2 power heads that should be here tomorrow and I will also run them. Right now I am running the pumps with no lights and waiting.
My question:
Did I forget anything?
Should I keep the lights on?
When should I do a water change (after the ammonia and nitrates are at zero)?
When should I check for Ammonia and other things.
Thank you

Attachments

• new tank.jpg
    new tank.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 163
  • Tank w rock and sand new.jpg
    Tank w rock and sand new.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 206
  • tank w rock.jpg
    tank w rock.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 137
Thank you
I only had the light on for the photo
the lfs had me put bio spher in the tank and not to test the water until Friday. I will check tonight. I have 2 more power heads coming, can I put them in when I get them.
Thank you again

New Red Sea Max 250

I am going to try my first saltwater tank. Want to put corals and fish in.

So the tank is 66 gal - have a few questions?

Do you recommend a reef base or live sand? Brands/type/how many pounds are needed?

How many pounds of live rock?

Best type fish and corals for a beginner once tank has cycled? How many fish can go in tank this size?

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom