Starting my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How many gallons?

I like the rockwork- but depending on the type of fish you are looking to have you may need more caves in it.

It's 30g so nothing huge, not sure what fish to go for yet so I'm open to suggestions, do want a couple of clown fish though

A 30 gallon with a pair of clowns and a goby pistol shrimp combination, or maybe a midas blenny. You have to remember clowns get very territorial once they get to any size and become a pair. Your rocks are very nice. Are you going to have a reef?

Welcome!

Yeah I am gonna go for a reef not to soon though going to take my time a bit I think, will check out the fish you mentioned, any more suggestions are more than welcome

Smudgy35 said:
Yeah I am gonna go for a reef not to soon though going to take my time a bit I think, will check out the fish you mentioned, any more suggestions are more than welcome

I wouldn't do too much more for fish than three if you are doing two clowns or you may overstock. The Midas blenny is an excellent fish with lots of personality. Mine sleeps in my toadstool at the center of my tank at night. He is also always up in the front of the tank swimming around. Don't forget your clean up crew! Maybe an emerald crab, blood shrimp or peppermint shrimp (nocturnal), some snails and hermits. Nassarius and cerith snails are a must in my opinion.

I think that you will see once you start adding corals that your tank will become more alive. Because of the tank size you are limited In the fish you can stock- but corals are endless depending on your lighting and flow.

Good luck

Wasn't thinking of anymore just any other fish, have started the clean up crew I've got 2 blue hermits, 1 red hermit, about 10 ceriths and a couple of crabs that were on the live rock I think there emerald crabs look very similar

Is that an urchin on top of the rock? If so you may want to find it a new home once you start adding coral. I had one in my old 29g cube and it always knocked stuff over which cost me my amazing green torch when it fell on my anemone. Urchins are very neat but destructive.

Rocks and corals can be glued down. Coraline algae can not. Many urchins will consume Coraline. Also, they tend to sit on corals which freaks me out.

The rock work looks great! I keep on changing mine... can't seem to get it right where I like it :(

Anywho, some stocking ideas. I have a 28 gallon with approximately 30 lbs of rock (all live now). I have one green chromie (my first fish), one bicolored dottyback, one lil' nemo clownfish, and one yellow watchman goby. So, four fish, which some may say is too much, but they are small, neat, and occupy different areas of the tank. Plus, my water levels are stable, and nobody's gotten sick (yet). The goby stays on the bottom as it has no swim-bladder. The dottyback swims through the rockwork, and the green chromie and clownfish are BFF's in the upper half of the tank (they even sleep next to each other!). The dottyback is my absolute favorite. She has so much personality and zips in and out of every little nook and cranny. If I move something, she notices it right away and will stop to look at it and swim back to where whatever I moved was placed before. The she turns and gives me a reproachful look (seriously!). Aside from the fishies, I have a variety of magarita, nessarius and astrea snails. I have one conch (which is just the funniest thing. Some times all I can see is the top of it's shell and one eyeball poking up through the sand). I also have 4 hermit crabs, one green emerald crab, one cleaner shrimp and, my newest purchase, a decorator arrow crab, which is probably the ugliest and creepiest thing I've ever seen. I looks like a spider and, frankly, freaks me out, but I still love it. The one thing I'm missing is a pistol shrimp to hang out with the goby. I've just started getting some corals. I have one duncan coral and some button polyps. So, some ideas there too.

Also, I noticed that you said some crabs had hitchhiked with your rocks. Be careful with those, they may be bad for any fish you put (i.e. your fish may end up sleeping with the fishes in a bad way!)

Good luck and have fun!!!!

It's a pin cushion urchin kinda thought it could be a little destructive it gets everywhere but I like it, have glued.

Sorry about this I'm having trouble with my computer but keep the advice coming its very much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom