Starting Nano - Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thardin99

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just purchased a nano cube and am wondering the best setup. A nano reef with one, maybe a pair of clowns but mostly corals. For those of you familiar with the jbj nano cube - please let me know the best way to set up the chambers. What factory parts to take out and what to add such as bioballs and lr rubble. At the moment i have the tank setup with livesand and some old pieces of LR that had come from an old tank years ago. This rock has long since died but is still a good porus rock that could be used for a base???? Other than that, there is no livestock whatsoever at the moment. Thanks for any replies.

Your right, more info would probably help. The tank is the nano cube 12g Deluxe. I have every intention starting slow with this one and also am taking all precautions I can - such as using RO water only instead of tap. etc.... I have had a 30g reef befor with good results but this was several years ago and as you know advances have been made that will probably make this hobbie a bit easier then it was before.

thardin - I have the 12gal. Deluxe as well, and I'm sure Lando will chime in as he has one too!

First thing you need to do is ditch the filter media it came with ... BioBalls, Sponges and Ceramic rings! Fill up chamber 1 and 2 with LR rubble and replace the stock pump in the 3rd chamber with a Rio 600. I had a MiniJet 606 in there and just switched it for a Rio 600 and WOW what a difference!

There is also several threads on www.nano-reef.com detailing turning chamber 2 into a fuge by removing the vinyl backing and attaching a light, but I haven't done this yet!

3rd thing I would recomend and I wish I had done this .... most of your corals are going to come attached to a piece of LR, start with a small amount of Nano Rock and then build up with the rock that comes attached to your corals. I went gung ho and added 15lbs. of LR and then as I started buying corals I ran out of room to place them!

nan-reef.com is a great site for some information, but the some of the people over there have tremendous chips on their shoulder and can be quite rude at times!

Good luck and if you need any more help just ask here!

Back
Top Bottom