starting new 30 gal tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StaceyL

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Nano Reefer

Member No.: 14,247

Hi I am starting a new 30 gal. Tank, previously had a 12 g nano cube which was great, but we moved, so here I am starting over. This time I am putting it together piece by piece. The tank is a 30 gal long, which I think will work well, shallower and plenty of surface area. I just purchased JEBO 192W POWER COMPACT lights. I think this will be enough light as I only wish to do soft corals, and fish.

Other equipment: Penguin Bio-Wheel Power Filter 200, Visi-Jet PS Protein Skimmer, Power Sweep 214, heater,
I plan to use about 40 pounds of live sand, and start with about 15-20 pounds live rock. I want to be able to add other rocks with corals attached as I go. The last tank I had I filled to the max right from the start, and then had no room to add corals, live and learn.

Here are my questions;

How many fish can I safely have without overloading the tank. I plan to only have small relatively peaceful fish, I was thinking: 1 goby, 1 blenny, 1 firefish, 1 royal gramma, 1 pajamma cardinal, and possible 1 clown. Does this sound ok, too much?

For the clown I would love a maroon with yellow stripes (sorry don't have the scientific name ) I have heard these fish can be aggressive, and must they have an anenome to thrive? Is there another clown you would recommend as being better suited for a community tank?

Question about live rock? If I get less live rock, can I mix it with other rock to grow my own live rock, how does this work?

Does my equipment list seem ok?

Thank You, I am so excited about starting this new tank. I should be able to start putting everything together next week some time, then 4-6 weeks to cycle with my rock and a few inverts. I know fish are still a couple of months away, but I want to be prepared. Thanks. smile.gif

StaceyL

I'm a noob, so I don't have much in the way of advice. But, I have been told by many people that live sand is a waste of money. They say that by the time you get it, it's no longer live. Better off getting regular substrate and more LR. At least 30lbs of LR, more is better

LS isn't worth the expense you are right about that. Non-silica based sand will do fine in your setup. Seed the tank with a little sand if you like otherwise just use your LR to get things going.

Let your tank cycle before adding fish, I wouldn't put any inverts in for awhile either, at least til you are through the ammonia, and Nitrite spike.

A lot of us will buy "non-LR" meaning it is dry base rock, and only buy enough LR to get things going. This is a much cheaper approach to getting your tank started. The LR will seed the tank and start the process of making the base rock live. Critters from the LR will make their way to the base rock and in time it will become "LR".

Remember to take your time, research your purchase before making them, and ask lots of questions. If you aren't sure about something or don't feel you got a good enough answer ask it here. I am certain that someone will be able to answer you.

Thank you for the info. I know I will have many questions in the next few weeks.

Got the tank set up; saltwater, filter, powerhead, protein skimmer, sand, and lights. My LR comes tomorrow. Its being shipped from TampaBay Saltwater, I am so excited! :D

Back
Top Bottom