Starting new 75 gal. FOWLR / question about stocking the LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K Dub

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am starting a 75 gal FOWLR. Tank being delivered on June 30. After I set up and get water mixed and all hardware in place, I plan on putting aroun 100 lbs. of all cured LR. for my filtration. Do I watch for my tank to cycle after this? Do I feed the tank or add ammonia to help this? I have gotten a few different conflicting reports about a little rock at a time or put it all in at once... As you see I have a few concerns. Thanks, and love the site!

no the live rock will do the cycling for you just test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate
where in naple do you live, my family owns three houses down there,
how did you come up with your name, it is also a nickname for a pro mx/sx racer

I live in N. Naples (Indigo Lakes)..nickname is my initials KW Thanks for info...Do I need to be adding any ammonia?

Nope ... the fully cure LR will have some dieoff from going in your new tank, and that will/should fuel the cycle! Just start testing as thefishguy stated and you'll see a rise.

edit***

although I have heard that UN-cured LR is even better. That's what I used and a shrimp and my cycle was quick! Today my tank is happy ...

Ammo- 0
Trites - 0
Trates - 0-5
PH - 8.2
SG - 1.025
Temp - 79

Ok...My LFS is awsome though and have excellent cured LR. Was going to bring straight home submerged. Will I still get sufficient die off? Thx

i started my 55g with cured lr and added two raw shrimp. my tank cycled very fast - about three weeks. great results from that method. actually my ammo spike was very small i guess because my rock was cured.

One more thing... I keep reading about not placing my LR directly on the substrate. Like put cut PVC pieces under the rock at the depth of the substrate. Anyone else doing this? Oh, and as for the cycling thind, I'm not using a wet dry. Just skimmer and Canister Filter. Should I still do the shrimp :?: Thx

I just placed my rock on the substrate.

I'm not using a wet dry. Just skimmer and Canister Filter. Should I still do the shrimp

Yup, still do the shrimp.

Check out the new addition of Tropical Fish Hobbyist Mag. In the July issue they have an article on cycling your tank and different methods that have worked more than others. They recommend adding ammonia sources even with live rock. (ie slices of fish) This in turn will provide more fuel to feed the fire and in turn speed up your cycle.

Ive never used any type of food to cycle my tank..
I guess we do it diff here down under..

Ive had great results with taking cycled water out of another tank and mixing that with new sw, so i have about 50% cycled and 50% new sw, taking some substrate out of another tank, taking some old media out of the filters and putting all in the new tank.. my tank was cycled in like 2 weeks..

Does anyone use this method?

Back
Top Bottom