Starting New...Any Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ttimmer10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm wanting to start up a reef tank. I currently have a FW tank, but want to add to my hobby. Given the fact that I'm currently a student kind of (okay... really does) put a damper on the cash flow so hoping to save some by doing a lot myself. Have been reading up a lot, and know there is a lot involved, just wondering if anyone had some good advice BEFORE I go and spend money one stuff I don't need, or can save by DIY.
thanks

My advice so far it that it seems, not matter how much you look for the good deals, it is really expensive. I do not mean to say this to deter you, I am doing the same thing (in fact just marine which is not as expensive as reef), but at the same it is totally possible, and in the end I hink that you will be overjoyed that you did. So here are my suggestions for what I would have done looking back.

1) Do a tonne of research before you put a dime into anything, unless there is a super deal that you just can't pass up and a) you know that is exactly what you want and b) you know that you could not get it anywhere else for less

2) Before you go out and start buying stuff, sit down (after you have done your research) and write done everything that you need and get prices for it. If it is fiscally possible for you to do it then go right ahead, but you don't want to get halfway through and have some extremely exoensive Metal Hallide lights on your hands and decide that you just want to go for a FO or FOWLR tank.

3)Be excited, love the hobby, and be prepare to spend many many hours on the net and at the library looking up information on setting up a tank.

Hope that this helps and good luck wit your adventure. This is a great hobby and I wish you tonnes of success. I am a DIY of all things and a mechanical cannibal.

I would buy a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner first. That will give you lots of info that you'll need. I would not buy anything without posting here first. The reason for that is I don't think there is much in the way of SW aquarium equipment that someone here hasn't already tried at some point. It might keep you from buying something that you don't need or that is of inferior quality.

Back
Top Bottom