Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
is back to save the day!

Actually, i would skip on the miracle mud. It really does nothing for your coral that couldn't be accomplished through weekly water changes, and from having the fuge itself. Miracle mud is just a mess and i've heard more people say they've rather not used it at all.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I've used it for the last 18 months and when used correctly (as in low water flow through dead zone) it works very well,but each to their own.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:20 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I added the MM in my fuge years ago. but personally I dont see where it did anything. I wont mess with it next time. Also as far as the macro algea Cheato is not the best exporter of nutrients. It`s the safest but calerpa is by far the best. I use grape calerpa. Calerpa does run a slight risk but as long as you keep it pruned and lights on 24/7 in your fuge where you keep it you`ll be good to go.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
is back to save the day!

And keeping the fuge light on 24/7 doesn't mess with the pH at all?
Old 04-19-2010, 02:05 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

I'm not a fan of egg crate on the bottom of the tank. Why do you wan't to. Maybe I need to learn more about it myself. Seems like I've heard stories of gases and other bad things that can live down there.

What makes you think it'll benefit you?

My thing with MM is that you're supposed to replace it every so many years. Forgot. Maybe it's yearly it advises to remove half of it and replace with new MM. That would be a pain I'm thinking.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
I'm not a fan of egg crate on the bottom of the tank. Why do you wan't to. Maybe I need to learn more about it myself. Seems like I've heard stories of gases and other bad things that can live down there.

What makes you think it'll benefit you?

My thing with MM is that you're supposed to replace it every so many years. Forgot. Maybe it's yearly it advises to remove half of it and replace with new MM. That would be a pain I'm thinking.
If Im wrong to put egg crate in then I wont , Im new to this and need advice on everything , I was told that it was to keep the rock off the glass so that there was no point load when the sand moves and the rock settles. I intend on having a lot of rock. Got some in the shed livening up now.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:06 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Read this as I believe you'll create a plenum. How to Build a Plenum for a Saltwater Aquarium - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Not saying you shouldn't, but just understand what it might create and know how to deal with it.

I did a lot of flatter base rock when I built my tank so that the more shapely rock, with points and edges sat on top of it.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:11 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry i haven't bean on alot latley and everyone answered your question. If you have anymore questions i will try to answer them.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:18 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Still dont know wether to go with the egg crate or not.

Tags
starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com