Starting new tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

animalparamedic

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was going to buy a used 125gal tank and all the equipment for it as a package (125 GALLON TANK/STAND, CANOPY, 600 WATTS OF P.C. LIGHTING, LED MOON LIGHTING, EXCALIBER PROTIEN SKIMMER UP TO 220 GALLONS, 40 WATT AQUA U.V. LIGHT, OVERFLOW-20 GALLON SUMP, COOLING FANS, HEATER, PUMPS, ETC) But instead of cycling the old fashioned way wondered about buying the 5gallon 'bags' of Ocean water to start off with... is this a bad idea? Should i just use the old raw shrimp way insterad - Obviously its a lot cheaper, Just curious...

Thanks for any help/suggestions...

Ocean water will not cycle your tank. The bacteria does not live in the water, but rather on surfaces such as liverock, sand and filter media. Shrimp is the sure fire way to proceed.

It amazes me the amount of money people are willing to spend and then want to shortcut the most important, and cheapest part of setting up a tank. ;)

A good strong cycle is good insurance for the tanks future.

I agree with Hara, use the shrimp. One my first tank, I just added LR and live sand. I had the LFS test my water so I missed out on how the cycle really works. I have a 125 and a 20 cycling now, with my nice rotting shrimp.
Congrats on the purchase!
There are a few folks that have the Excaliber skimmer and really love it. One work of caution, get a list of meds the previous owner used in the tank.
I premix my water (for at least 24 hours), that way I can get as many parameter as close to my main as possible, mainly salinity, pH, and temp.

Thanks for the meds questions and all the other comments... I am obviously a newbie... My fiance and I just got back from Hawaii and when were there she fell in love with Puffers... So for Christmas I am getting her this tank to accomadate Puffers and frineds... Any suggestions of what other fish to get besides Puffers - or should i check the boards?

I think that is a fine list of equipement you have there. I use an excalibur skimmer and I love mine. I would also do the shrimp method to cycle your tank. The water will do no good as to speeding up your cycle.

I find this site very helpful, for who will fit and who won't:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/
Take a browse and see what you like.
Puffers will eat inverts so that may limit your clean up crew.

Back
Top Bottom