Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

So I think my hitchhiker is a starfish. I moved some of the rock and this came out of the rockClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412377706.785977.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	251742

I'm not sure it has survived the startup process. I'm going to leave it at the bottom of the tank and see what happens. Can anyone identify this for me?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 10-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

He's Alive!

I went to my tank this morning and the starfish had moved slightly. I was not sure if the power head moved him so I captured him in a net and moved him to the other side of my tank. When I went to look at the tank a short time later the tentacles were moving. I noticed a hole in the center and it was opening and closing. I realized I had him upside down! I turned him over and he started to move around.

I can't believe he survived that tank start up, from everything I read just being in the open air and out of the water could have killed him.

He's a Red Brittle starfish after looking at different sites online.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

No filter???? Water check.

I finished my startup on my 55gl tank this morning. Water is in and temperature is correct. I checked salinity this morning and it is normal. Now I have a few mor questions.

1. My canister filter is leaking so I pulled it out. That leaves me with no filter since I can't acquire a protein skimmer this month. Will the tank run okay with just the live sand and live rock along with power heads?

2. Since I just put the water in and I checked the water chemicals before I added it and everything was perfect except the Ph was a little low, how long should I wait to check the chemicals again to see if the tank is cycling?

3. Since I had this starfish hitchhiker in my rock and he survived do I need to put food in the tank for him to eat since the tank hasn't cycled yet?

Sorry so many questions but I am so excited about this tank and I want to do everything correct.. You can read my earlier posts to see what has happened so far. Thanks for any help I get.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #14
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You could check the parameters daily to see how the cycle is going. If you have readings of ammonia or nitrite you'll need to do a water change so you don't kill your brittle starfish.
Don't worry so much about ph, it will rest where it wants to rest. It will be lower in winter than summer with windows and doors being closed and heaters running in the house. Chasing ph almost always ends up causing issues.
In terms of feeding the starfish, you can put a very small amount of food in for him to eat.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
You could check the parameters daily to see how the cycle is going. If you have readings of ammonia or nitrite you'll need to do a water change so you don't kill your brittle starfish.
Don't worry so much about ph, it will rest where it wants to rest. It will be lower in winter than summer with windows and doors being closed and heaters running in the house. Chasing ph almost always ends up causing issues.
In terms of feeding the starfish, you can put a very small amount of food in for him to eat.
I tested the water today.
Ammonia - .25-.5 ppm
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0 - 2.5 ppm
pH - 7.8

I added some pH up to try and help the pH before I read your comment. Only put in about 1/2 of what bottle called for.

How much ammonia or nitrite should I have before doing WC and how much of a change should I do?
Old 10-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #16
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

If you have ammonia or nitrite readings with livestock in the tank, you want them to read 0 after water change.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Canister filter is not advices for saltwater.. A sump is better
Old 10-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless hate View Post
Canister filter is not advices for saltwater.. A sump is better
I really have no idea how to set up a sump. I do have a spare 10gl tank would that work. How would I hook the filter to the larger tank. I think I would put the smaller tank below my tank inside my cabinet.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

My New Tank

Here is a picture of my new setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	251848  
Old 10-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOWLR Newbie View Post
Here is a picture of my new setup.
I am not thrilled with power head placement. Any suggestions so I don't have to look at the head and cord?

Tags
new tank, star, start, starting, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com