Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2014, 01:25 PM   #31
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

i agree with carey wait on wc till end of cycle , just add saltwater to top off this will help you slowly raise the salinity, just check periodically so you dont exceed your goal salinity

Old 10-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Name:   ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412700819.751784.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  92.5 KB
Top corners normally work best for creating a current start there

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 10-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I wouldnt worry too too much about the salinity being a bit low. You can always top off with salt water instead of non salted water.

Your starifsh might be feeling the effects of any ammonia you have in there, if you have any yet. I'm not too sure what to say about keeping the starfish alive, other than not to let the ammonia get above say 2.0ppm. he might live through that but any higher and its not gonna be good most likely.
I never got any cool hitch hikers, lol, maybe some bristleworms and aipastia. :-(

But it sounds like you have everything you will need to get this tank rolling. Just keep testing. Odd question, but do you know anyone who can starfish sit for you while your tank cycles? Like a friend or even a lfs locally?
I wish I had someone that can sit for the starfish but I'm just getting started and I know no one else that has a tank. I've only scoped out a couple of
LFS and I've not picked anyone in particular to start working with.

The starfish is losing parts of its tentacles I'm finding them all over the tank, not sure he's going to make it but will keep you informed.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Regular

Questions Questions and more Questions!

So I've been reading ALOT of other threads and boy do I feel like I am in WAY over my head! Most of the threads have been about Reef tanks and since I don't plan on getting in to the corals anytime soon maybe I'll be ok starting with the FOWLR and not feeling overwhelmed.

I have a question about feeding the fish and since I don't have fish yet maybe I can learn beforehand. Since I started out in FW I am used to feeding fish with flakes and pellets and that's about it.

I've heard alot of people talking about using Mysis and frozen brine etc and I just wanted to see if you just pinch off a chunk and throw it in frozen and let it fall to the bottom or what? Also I saw someone had a video on their thread where they put in a small dead fish and fed their snails and it looked like the fish got in a few pecks on it as well. Can you drop in whole dead fish and raw shrimp? Also Huma said he made his own paste by blending up fresh fish and shrimp in a food processor. Do you then freeze it and throw in a chunk at a time frozen or do you defrost it first? I know these are probably things I will learn as I go but it is nice to have a little head start.

Also, when your on vacation and away what type of automatic feeder do most of you use and what type of food? Or should I just plan on never taking vacation again! LOL

Thank you to everyone that is assisting me I'm sure when I get my fish in after Thanksgiving I'll have a lot more to talk about and put on the thread and then start producing pictures!
Old 10-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

when i feed frozen food i will take a small chunk off and out it in a paper cup. then i add water and let it melt. i sue a turkey baster to project the food in the tank.

I feed pellets, flake, frozen mysis, pemysis(bigger better mysis), bloodworms and brine shrimp. The better the mix the healthier your fish will be.

You can also make your own using seafood from the supermarket. Just add shrimp, crab, maybe some squid, anything but fatty fish and put them in a blender. it will make a mush which you can break off pieces of to use. OR get an old ice cube tray and freeze the mush into cubes.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Regular

Packages arrived

I received my Reef Octopus BH1000, 2 ea Hydor Koralia 600 gph pumps and chemical test kits. Red Sea Phosphate Pro, Salifert Calcium, Salifert Magnesium, and Salifert KH/Alkalinity Test. I decided to go ahead and test the phos and the color was off the chart so Phos is over .68 is that bad? I'm not going to test the other params tonight but I did check my regular tests

nitrates 0
Nitrates 10
Ammonia 0
pH 8.2

I threw a shrimp in 2 days ago but ammonia has only gone down from .25

My tanks not cycling any suggestions? Or should I just have patients?

I read that most people don't put their skimmer on until after the tank cycles, should I wait? Water is really clear and not seeing too much in top of tank
Old 10-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You can run the skimmer during cycling if you like, it will need a few weeks to break in so might as well start now. lol

What type of water did you add to the tank? You should have pretty much 0 phosphates since you arent feeding the tank or adding anything.

Also if you have trates it means some of the ammonia is being converted, just not alot right now.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:55 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Regular

Please forgive my frankness right now. I really mean well.
It is my view that you are trying to set your aquarium up way too fast. You are asking too many basic questions whose answers you should already have learned before you take custody of living things. Know what to feed them, how often they eat, what is their ideal temp,73 or 81. what other fish are they dangerous to and visa versa, what do they need space wise? What happens to living things that are put into an uncycled tank unless it is meant to be killed
These are only some of the things anyone getting into the hobby should have at hand before making the first purchase. This will spare you a ton of disappointment
Read more, ask a ton more of questions, join a reef club. Get stocked up with the information you need to ask the right questions. There is never a dumb question so slow down and be patient. If you can't be that, then you are in the wrong hobby.
Do more homework and you will no doubt have a beautiful aquarium with a lovely starfish.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:51 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Agree with Carey. Check the phosphates in your tap water.
The more phosphates you have, the more algae problems you will get in the future. a FOWLR system is easier than reef for sure, but honestly, in the long run, good quality water will be your best defense against a whole lot of problems. I use the frozen cubes for convenience, thaw them in a cup, swish with some saltwater and use a turkey baster to feed.
Relax, let the tank cycle and enjoy it. Saltwater tanks are amazing. Never be afraid to ask questions, it might seem overwhelming now, but is really isnt bad. You'll find a groove that works for you
Old 10-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMorris271 View Post
Please forgive my frankness right now. I really mean well.
It is my view that you are trying to set your aquarium up way too fast. You are asking too many basic questions whose answers you should already have learned before you take custody of living things. Know what to feed them, how often they eat, what is their ideal temp,73 or 81. what other fish are they dangerous to and visa versa, what do they need space wise? What happens to living things that are put into an uncycled tank unless it is meant to be killed
These are only some of the things anyone getting into the hobby should have at hand before making the first purchase. This will spare you a ton of disappointment
Read more, ask a ton more of questions, join a reef club. Get stocked up with the information you need to ask the right questions. There is never a dumb question so slow down and be patient. If you can't be that, then you are in the wrong hobby.
Do more homework and you will no doubt have a beautiful aquarium with a lovely starfish.
Thank you for your frankness. I am taking it slow and actually that is why I am on this site and looking at other sites absorbing as much information as I can. I look at youtube videos and google everything I can.

I plan on looking to find a good book on the subject and will be looking to see if there are any saltwater enthusiasts groups in my area, unfortunately I live in a small town so I would probably have to driver over an hour to find somewhere they may have a group.

I'm hoping to have all of the teachers on this site (giggles) work through things with me as well. Look out for lots of questions as I know very little about saltwater tanks and that is why I am starting out with a basic tank.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your vast knowledge when I have questions in the future.

Tags
new tank, star, start, starting, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com