Starting out...????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Overstocker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got a 75 gal drilled tank. Wetdry filter and it is up and running with fresh water for the last 3 days with no leaks. Also running a magnum 350 with some carbon, just for grins. No rock/sand/crushed coral in the tank, just a bare tank. I have a 48" double compact flourescent strip and 2 36" strips with antitic and coral lights to go with it (240 watts total)

I plan on starting out with fish only and slowly put some cured liverock from my LFS as I go along....

I do have 50lb of crushed coral that was part of the set up but think it is not a good thing to use...?

Should I go ahead and add the salt and start the cycle process with the dead shrimp?

Should I put the crushed coral in it?

Thanks in advance!

I would put 1/4-1/2" of the CC (if you want) in and then add 100 lbs LR to cure. No sense adding a little at a time. Some folks prefer sand to CC. You will have to vacuum the CC periodically to help keep nitrate down.
You will be happier and more successful adding all the LR now. Trust me on this. 8)

I would advise against the crushed coral... that is what i started with too and ended up having to tear my tank apart to get it out.

Shouldnt be a problem adding the salt/shrimp now.

Live rock addition..

I disagree with Anemoneman on the addition of the LR. I suggest that you add LR in batches, rather than all at once...here's why I think so.

When you put the first load of LR into the tank it is going to cause some kind of mini-cycle. Maybe even if the LR is cured. Once the tank settles down, you've then got a more stable situation with stronger bio filtration on the LR. Then...when you add MORE LR, the tank will be better able to handle any ammonia produced by the new rock and it is more likely that life on the rock will survive.

Spend more on your subsequent batches of LR in order to get better quality of LR. You can't go wrong with Liverocks.com.

If you put the whole load of LR in at once, you're going to cause a pretty substantial cycle to take place which will be hard on the life you paid to get on the LR.

Well, I have no sand yet but did pick up a chunck of LR today and a couple of base rock (over all about 30 pounds). Ammonia showing a bit from the frozen brine I thew in it a few days ago. My water has a slight cloudy/milky haze at the moment, so far so good.

Did decide on finding sand, overall it just looks better to me.... 8)

What is the best temp for the tank? Was told 75-77 degree, is 80 to high?

Thanks

81-84 is good for the cycle it will aid in the longevity/productivity of the bacteria now developing. After that 80-82 is what I prefer.

Thanks.

Waiting for the tank to cycle is the most boring and anxious part!

How to know what is the good stuff and bad stuff on a live rock? Got some pink/purple stuff which is good....but have some mossy looking stuff (algae) on it which is.....? Also have what looks like a white....uh...sponge/brain coral pattern thing. It is about 2" diam and 1/4" thick. Over all the rock looks dirty.

Back
Top Bottom