Starting Out, Few Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saulsilver1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
29G FOWLR tanks with a 20G long sump. I'm at the point now where it's either **** or get off the pot. I'm wanting to go all into this hobby and just having a 20 gallon nano isn't enough.

1) My first question is, how necessary is a protein skimmer? I've read quite a bit about them and they immensely improve water quality, but with a FOWLR tank it's not absolutely necessary at first? I would like to start getting into corals around the first of the year I assume it's a crucial piece of equipment for successfully keeping corals?

2) My second question is, is it necessary to quarantine a fish for 4-6 weeks? I have a clown that's been quarantined for 3 weeks and isn't showing any signs of sickness, and have my tank and everything cycled and good to go, should I wait the extra week or just put him in the tank?

3) Is it fine to quarantine more than one fish in a tank? Right now I'm quarantine a Goby and a Clownfish in two different tanks. Is it fine to quarantine two fish in the same QT?

4) Bulk Reef Supply - Carbon and GFO Reactors

BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor - Single - Bulk Reef Supply

Is it necessary to run a carbon reactor? And running a GFO reactor will decrease the possibility of Coraline algae growing, correct? Is it worth it to get a dual BRS reactor or is the single one fine?

1. It's a filter that cleans the water. How necessary is up to you- your bio load, feeding habits, and water change regimen. It's not mandatory for a reef tank if the above mentioned factors are good.

2. I personally, would put the clown in the DT. This question is a matter of opinion.

3. If I was going to QT multiple fish, I would do so in a single tank.

4. No. It's not necessary. Neither is GFO, if the factors mentioned in answer #1 are addressed. Redasonable bio load, reasonable feeding, and adequate nutrient export.

Back
Top Bottom