Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
That's some good advice. I do have to disagree about the bioballs oucompeting the LR's beneficial bacteria. They are one in the same.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The LFS didn't say to put fish in during the cycle, perhaps I was not clear. What I ment was after the cycle will there be enough bacteria on the new bare rock plus the small amount of live rock to cover the 1.5 pound per gallon live rock rule. The concern with the bioballs is that the balls will get dirtied over time, and this combined with the bacteria creates alot of nitrates, which combined with the liverock would be overkill?

Old 03-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

After your cycle you are going to want to add fish slowly to allow your bacteria to "catch up" with the bioload. I don't like bioballs for a bunch of reasons! The last time I was at the beach I didn't see any floating around in the ocean. Go with the LR and LR Rubble When adding your fish do it slowly.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

xcugat... let's try this explanation - I sense confusion!...

The rock is just a place for the bacteria to call home, same as what the bioballs would be. Assuming you have a good amount of live rock in your tank (say 1-2 lbs/gallon), the AMOUNT of bacteria you will end up with has nothing to do with how much rock you have. The bacteria doesn't "fill up" whatever rock you have. What controls the bacteria population in the long run is how big of an ammonia source you have. You could have 1lb/gallon or 3lb/gallon of rock in your tank, but you'd have more or less the same amount of bacteria.

That's why the suggestion to stock your tank slowly. Each new fish adds additional ammonia and the bacterial population needs to catch up to this new bioload.

The only difference between "live" rock and base/bare rock is that "live" rock is populated with bacteria. By the time you are done with your cycle, ALL your rock will be "live" regardless of what it was to start with.

I like your comment Ziggy about bioballs in the ocean! Made me chuckle!
Old 03-08-2008, 12:14 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
The only difference between "live" rock and base/bare rock is that "live" rock is populated with bacteria. By the time you are done with your cycle, ALL your rock will be "live" regardless of what it was to start with.

Not just the rock, but any surface will be coated with bacteria. That includes sand. That is why you can start out with dry sand which will become live sand (coated with bacteria) in short order .
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #16

Thanks for the live rock clarification.
I also wanted to get an idea of how most people set up their filters. The sump has already been mentioned, and I plan to go this route, but I would like to know what other people use and the success/failure that you have had. In regards to the bioballs I as well as others in this thread think that it is not natural or nessisary, Do you think they are unnessisary/detrimental in a wet dry sump set up. Is a purely wet sump is the better way to go?
Old 03-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I use a refugium with LR and Macro algae as part of my filtration. My display tank has about 150lbs of rock in it. My Fuge has another 15 lbs of rock in it. I have a very large very powerful skimmer on my system. Wet/Dry filters are used mainly on fish only systems. Like I said before I like to go as natural as possible with my system. Live rock, Live sand tons and tons of Macro algae and a good skimmer. All of those combined create good filtration of my system.

Here is what I have under my tank.

This is my Refugium (20g Tall) as you can see it is completely full of macro algae and you can just make out some live rock on the right. There is live rock from side to side and stacked up fairly high on the right side of the tank.

This is my return tank. The skimmer is directly behind this tank and it dumps into it. The bulkhead you see at the back is the return from my 55g frag tank that is plumbed into the system and on the right you see the bulkhead coming out of the refugium and dumping into the return. This along with my LR is what I use to filter my tank.
I upgraded to this 20G tall last night.

In the saltwater members show off pics forum have a look at my tank. I am very successful with this setup. I don't have algae issues (there is some buble algae but that came from some live rock I got) my water stays clear, my corals are growing at an amazing pace. All in all my system is very healthy.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #18

Thanks for all the replies so far. Sorry for the delay but I have been busy as of late--trying to find a job among other things!
I just bit the bullet and bought a 75 gallon drilled tank with overflow box/plumbing for 230 dollars (which is more than the non drilled of course but I am limited with room so I did not have space behind tank for overflow box) How was that for a price?

The tank will arrive friday, and I will then begin to build the stand. I am now working out the filtration method. I have a 55 gallon that I need to reseal (see this thread) tank resealing which I will use as a sump so long as it doesnt blow out on me.

The issue now is the other filtration. I plan on eventually getting a skimmer, but I have heard it is not really necessary untill the tank is established. Is such the case?
The tank will be a reef tank with live rock and sand for biological filtration (berlin method), and I wanted to know if other mechanical filtration ie, a filter sock or floss is necessary--I am coming from FW using aquaclear filters for years so I just want to know if I need these extras for SW or the biological filtration will suffice. Does carbon have any place in SW filtration?
Old 03-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

If you have 1.5 to 2lbs of LR per gallon of water in your display along with a refugium and a skimmer you don't need any other source of filtration. I run carbon on my tank only when I need to other then that nature takes care of my filtration. Using a filter sock is a good idea when you are doing something in the tank that may stir things up a bit. I put one on my drain lines when I'm working in the tank just to keep from mucking up my sumps.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:45 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

That's a decent price on the tank. The skimmer is not necessary immediately but you want to add it right after the cycle is over and you start to add livestock. Other than that, what Ziggy said and partail water changes should be all you need.

You can run carbon in the sump when you want to polish the water.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com