starting out questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are relatively new to this hobby too but might be able to help with a few things. We bought my youngest a SW tank for his birthday last spring - he's always wanted one but we were on a budget. We went with a 90 gallon after researching fish. Going much smaller seriously limited what he could put in it. We went with basic lights (upgraded already for his xmas present), a good protein skimmer and a refugium sump system. We bought mostly uncultured rock that looked like "show" pieces but was only $2.99 a pound from a well rated internet seller. Even with shipping, it was well worth it. We just had to be very patient while the tank cycled since we didn't start with much live rock (bought a little from lfs). My hubby and 2 sons built the stand from pine and my son stained it black. We researched requirements for strength by looking at plans on the internet and making visits to lfs. Cost was about $200 but you might be able to do better if you have a good lumber yard. Definitely beats the $800 and up the lfs charges for much poorer quality. Both my sons (18 and 22) now have tanks on limited budgets. It can be done but patience is a must.

Well today I hit the lottery. I was driving around my town when I noticed a large florecent aquarium hood that was thrown out in the bulk pickup trash. I got out to look at it and behind a bunch of trash bags was a proclear wet dry filter, it looked brand new. I almost had a stroke. After grabbing these items I went to the door of the house and asked them about the items and if they had anything else. The woman told me that yes she did she had a 110 gallon tank and stand which she was also THROWING OUT because her husband had died and he was the aquarist. She said I could have it all so I got a friends pickup and took it home. Unbelievable.

For me a recent college graduate broke and up to my eyeballs in debt this was amazing. The only problem is that people in my town are animals and cut the wires off any appliances in the trash to collect the copper, thus screwing up both the light and the pump in the sump which i now need to rewire

The sump filter, a proclear 150 apparently retails for over 300 dollars online and she said it was only a few years old. The irony of all this is that I just picked up my new 75 gallon from the store and now have two huge tanks ( I am trying to sell the 75 on craigslist it is still in the box and I got it only a week ago and if that doesnt work I will try to return it to the LFS) Now I have some questions

1 The reason I did not go with such a large tank (110) in the first place is that I was on a budget and dont really have the room (but I would like to try to make it Work now!) The only problem is this tank is not drilled and it is going to be very tight with an overflow box behind. I am thinking about drilling it--It is an all glass 110 from 1996. So long as the side panels are not tempered how hard is it to drill-I have seen some people on here with great success.

2. The stand is particle board wood, which i dont trust because it becomes weakened when soaked--How are these stands and can I reenforce it--the woman had it in her home with no problems

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom