Starting Over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fknuckles68

Aquarium Advice Newbie
After hurricane Wilma, I had no power for about a week(after the generator failed) and everything in my tank died. I want to rebuild but am not sure what to do about the live rock. How do I go about cleaning it of the dead matter on and in it. Then, how do I re-cure it. I know it will take time but I'm patient. And should I change the water completly? I have been running all the filters and it seem to have cleared up.

Sorry for your loss, these hurricanes stink. I would do some tests on the water, chances are youve got an ammonia spike from the deaths, and you will probably be better starting over. I would scrub the rock with a brush, and then it set it in the tank. If there is anything left on the rock, it can help cycle your tank again. As the rock is in your tank, it will cure. Keep testing the water, and do frequent water changes until youre ready to add new inhabitants. Thats my .02

I would start over with fresh salt water..... Take the water out and place it in some buckets and then scrub the LR in those buckets... Place clean LR in tank and refill with fresh SW. I would also think about tossing any SB you have. Why take any chances just to save a few$$.

I would do something totally different than suggested previously. I would mix a fresh batch of saltwater in a tub, then rinse each piece of liverock in there. Empty most of the water from the tank, vacuum the sandbed well. Refill with water, place rock back in the tank and test for a day or two and then barring any huge ammonia/nitrite spikes, you would be good to go.

Thanks for all the advice. I've scrubbed the rock, replaced all the sand and bought new water from my fish shop. I figure a couple of months and the tank should be ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom