Starting over....Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nycfatcow

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am restarting over my 75 saltwater tank. Its been up for about 2 months now. I have a Maroon clown, snowflake eel, and lionfish. I wanted to make my tank some what of a reef if possible? What kinda of snails and hermits should i get? I have about 70lbs of rocks in the tank. Thanks

what do you mean starting over? Your getting rid of what fish you have now?
What type of filters, skimmer, LS?
I would get several kinds of snails and hermits, blue and red legs hermits work well.

I would not get any snails or crabs until you get rid of the eel and the lionfish. What vision do you have for your tank?

i have 2 aquaclear 500's but i put bio balls in there instead of the usual media. I have a seaclone 100 skimmer. homemade 6 jet system. eel and lion fish eat snails and hermits? i recently just bought a couplt of snails and hermits to try it out they seem fine? are Nassarius Obsoleta snails anygood? also wahts the difference between red leg hermits and blue legs? the lfs said red are better but they cost 1.49 each while the blue leggs only costs .79. which one is better thankz again

What's prompting you to start over? No offense, but you're tank is way too immature for that amount of fish not to mention the eel and lion are not reef safe. The clown would be OK. I'd add about another 30 lbs of LR to your tank to build up the bioload. What kind of filtration do you have on it currently?

KG

hmmm... my 75 g tank is 3 months old but b4 that i had a 30 g tank that i upgraded to the 75g. so only half of it is really new. i had the 30 g for 3 -4 months b4 i upgraded it. i have 2 aquaclear 500s and a seaclone 100 skimmer

I'm gonna be the devil's advocate here and say there's no reason to get rid of the lion or eel. They will not bother your corals if you are serious about going reef. They are listed as reef safe with caution only because they may eat any mobile inverts. Any shrimps or crabs like emerald crabs are at risk of being eaten. The maroon clown will be a problem since it's already established and my not take kindly to any newcomers to your tank. As for the hermits the eel may or may not bother them. My lion and eel have never bothered snails though. Nassarius snails are wonderful for cleaning up left overs that hit the substate but they don't eat algae. Some turbos or margaritas are good for that. To address your hermit color question, I have no idea. One is probably better at picking algae than the other. Try a few of both. :D Lastly, for your tank set up, I would ditch the aquaclears. Just my opinion of course but I would get another 30lbs of live rock, four maxijet 800's to place around the rock for waterflow and get a good skimmer. With the lion and eel being messy eaters and being in a reef setup, a good skimmer in my opinion will be an absolute must. Not something you wanna skimp on. Not sure the seaclone 100 is big enough for a 75g tank. I've seen beautiful reef setups with eels and lions but, they are a bit more work, more water changes and you are gonna be absent all the interesting mobile inverts that help keep a reef tank clean (shrimps, decorative crabs, slugs, etc.) Or, you could just return the two in question and go for a community reef setup. This will give you more options on inverts as well as fish. Good luck.

haha thanks a lot fluff i will take all the advices in consideration

nycfatcow,

Not sure which advice you are taking into consideration since she told you they can stay, but maybe should go.

I am guessing anyone keeping a lion or an eel in a let alone both in reef system probably have a very large system and quite a bit of experience.

In a 75g with your filtration I truly feel the nitrate issue is going to kill you over time without extensive water changes.

BTW, what is you water source and have you tested it. RO is recomended especially with corals and there is more to test for like CA/ALK with a reef system.

JMO,

afilter said:
In a 75g with your filtration I truly feel the nitrate issue is going to kill you over time without extensive water changes.

This is why I said it would be more work, because of the need to do more water changes. And why I feel strongly about a skimmer upgrade. Just giving another opinion. I think it can be done but, it can't be skimped on and would need to be done right. There are alot of things to consider and yes getting rid of the fish is one. But, it's not always necessary to do that if your committed to keeping them.

hmm i see waht you are saying too...i dont wanan get crazy fancy with the coral and stuff just a couple of nice piece to make it look a lil more natural. do you think that would be ok? im not gonna be using hundreds of dollars just a couple of nice easy corals and maybe one anemone in the far future

There are no real shortcuts. In order for corals and anemones to thrive, they need great water conditions. Mushroom corals and some leathers are pretty hardy but, any degrading of water quality is gonna effect them, keep that in mind in whatever you choose. Anemones are even more sensitive and probably not a good choice if you are trying to be frugal with your set up. Not sure what lights you have (you may have mentioned it) but if your tank is in good shape with good water quality and lighting, try some mushrooms. See how you like them and go on from there. Just keep in mind that the corals won't be as tolerant of nitrate levels that your fish are. Another option that would help make your tank look more natural and would actually be beneficial would be to add some macro algaes. Also, if you have a mind to, add some sponges. Both will benefit the tank by reducing nitrates and sponges harbor beneficial bacteria which is helpful to the tank. I've included a link for you to check out on sponges. Also, I forgot to mention before, serpent/brittles stars would also add some interest to your tank. Good luck.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/sponges.htm

Back
Top Bottom