Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-04-2005, 02:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by afilter
In a 75g with your filtration I truly feel the nitrate issue is going to kill you over time without extensive water changes.
This is why I said it would be more work, because of the need to do more water changes. And why I feel strongly about a skimmer upgrade. Just giving another opinion. I think it can be done but, it can't be skimped on and would need to be done right. There are alot of things to consider and yes getting rid of the fish is one. But, it's not always necessary to do that if your committed to keeping them.

Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
hmm i see waht you are saying too...i dont wanan get crazy fancy with the coral and stuff just a couple of nice piece to make it look a lil more natural. do you think that would be ok? im not gonna be using hundreds of dollars just a couple of nice easy corals and maybe one anemone in the far future

nycfatcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
There are no real shortcuts. In order for corals and anemones to thrive, they need great water conditions. Mushroom corals and some leathers are pretty hardy but, any degrading of water quality is gonna effect them, keep that in mind in whatever you choose. Anemones are even more sensitive and probably not a good choice if you are trying to be frugal with your set up. Not sure what lights you have (you may have mentioned it) but if your tank is in good shape with good water quality and lighting, try some mushrooms. See how you like them and go on from there. Just keep in mind that the corals won't be as tolerant of nitrate levels that your fish are. Another option that would help make your tank look more natural and would actually be beneficial would be to add some macro algaes. Also, if you have a mind to, add some sponges. Both will benefit the tank by reducing nitrates and sponges harbor beneficial bacteria which is helpful to the tank. I've included a link for you to check out on sponges. Also, I forgot to mention before, serpent/brittles stars would also add some interest to your tank. Good luck.

Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com