Starting over i guess.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fav74

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had previously posted about some complications I had transferring my 29g fresh into salt. Well that has settled out I have no ammonia, nitrite, or nitrates and ph is good testing this at least every other day. And the diatoms are starting disappear, not coming back as fast after cleaning. I am starting to fell ok about this.

Well I am getting a 55g tank that I have looked at for awhile for Christmas. Mainly because as much as my wife likes to gripe about the aquariums she really likes a 55g set up at my daughters school.

My question is about cycling. I am putting at least 20 more pounds of live sand in and ten pounds of sand. I have around 60 lbs of live rock now in the 29 that I am transferring over.

Was wondering about cycle time. Surely it will not take a month or so.

More LR will cycle faster...if you use the water from your old tank that will help as well...don't know what your fish/invert situation is with your current tank, which might hold you back from doing this.

I cycled my 36 gal with 50lbs of LR and the cycle took roughly 4-5 days once the ammonia levels finally spiked, which took a couple days.

As long as you keep the LR wet during the move you'll be ok. Using your current water isn't necessary as the bacteria is on the LR. 60lbs should have a minimal cycle if any, again so long as you keep it wet. Rinse your LS if taking it from the 29 to make sure you don't cause a spike. Keep your livestock in a QT for a few days atleast to make sure your not going to have an ammonia spike, but you should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom