Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-04-2006, 10:00 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Real FF you need to do more research. Forums are great for specific questions, but you need to read every article you can about how to cycle, stock, and maintain a SW aquarium.

Your light will be fine for a FOWLR, having a skimmer on a 20g is good, and you have a ton of LR. These are good things to start with, and you are on the right track. Look into powerheads, you will want 10-20 times your tank's volume in flow (20g tank=200-400gph flow rate). The ocean is very turbulent and the flow simulates your inhabitants' natural environment.

At this point I would leave the clown(s), but take the anemone back to the LFS and if you still have that Tang, take it back too. Tangs need much more space than your aquarium has.

We've all made mistakes and wanted things that we aren't capable of caring for properly. I am guilty of this (orangespot filefish, flame angel both deceased The important thing is to learn form our mistakes.

I have 2x 20g FOWLR tanks, and there are many fish and inverts that are appropriate for this size tank. Just be sure to research animals before you buy them!

The red stuff on your rocks looks like coraline algae or possibly zoanthid corals.

Blue H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to TheRealFF
Thanks for the advices Blue H2O. Im doing lots and lots of reading these last few days.

Viewing the pictures of my tank. Does anyone think i have way too much LR? I don't know if there's really 65pounds of LR in there (would the lfs lie?).

About lighting, i've heard people on this forums talking about 10,000k and lunar light. Should i purchase these? Im planning to keep a few corals and anemones in the future. If i do purchase these lights, what would the schedule be?

Thanks you guys so much

FF = Fish Freak

I am one of those reefnuts that are actually nuts!
TheRealFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com