Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2004, 07:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

starting propigation tank

It looks like it will be quite a few months til I can get my 100 gal reef going in full swing. My wife says buying a new house comes first, who is she kidding Well I think I will just get the cycle going with 75 lbs LR and LS. I have skimmer, PH's, and 96W 10K CF and 96W CF 03. I just want something in the tank. I have about 6 nice shroom rocks, polyps and zoos in a 12gal nano that I will transplant when cycled.

Can I propagate my mushrooms and riccordias in the same tank with these other inhabitants? This is all I am going to put in there until we move (yes I gave in) and I can get the fuge and MH lights set up. I figure I could cycle everything for 6 mos at least and try my hand at some more propagating techniques. I am just worried about the release of some toxins during propagation. It shouldn't be much, and with the water volume and skimmer I think I should be fine?

Sorry Squishy

Old 03-25-2004, 02:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

you should be fine. we are propagating pretty much all you have stated, shrooms, ricordia, star and other polyps, lethers, and xenia in a 30 gal tank and have been pretty succesful. i dont see a problem at all in a 100.

Old 03-25-2004, 04:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My only concern is for the already existing colonies in the same tank. Do I need to propagate in a separate tank. How much secretions should I expect?
Old 03-25-2004, 04:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Re: starting propigation tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by got bait?

Sorry Squishy
LOL...sorry for what?

And yes..you can propigate frags in the main tank. Just dont cut them in the main tank if you can avoid it. Its better to do that in a bowl of water or something so that you can toss it after you have fragged it. If you can...just run carbon for a day or so.

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com