Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2004, 11:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Starting reef tank

I am actually starting a seahorse tank and I have been getting lots of great info from seahorse.org. But I plan to add some corals to my tank. I already have a 90 gallon but it is not a reef so this will be my first reef.

It is cycled and I have added some inverts and macroalgea. What do I need to do to set it up for corals. What do I need to add to the tank? Or do with the tank I know calcium but that is about it.

Thanks
Christina

tuwhada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 01:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know much about seahorses but don't they require tanks with very little in the way of water movement? You might have to choose your corals very carefully since most of them seem to do badly without good flow.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

yeah I know I have a list of suitable corals taht I can go with. I just wanted to know what I have to do to prepare the tank for the corals.

Christina
Old 08-03-2004, 03:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can you list some of them? I'm quite interested myself.

I think once the tank has achieved some stability, you just have to be sure to provide the right amount of light and flow for each corals individual requirements. Having good rockwork with varying heights for placement is important.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 04:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

well seahorse.org has a list of suitable tank mates. It lists corals. I have not gone through them to decide which ones I would like to go with it but it does eliminate certain types of corals. I also have the quick reference guide to corals. So I was going to sit down with the list and look at pics and care and decide which ones to go for. Just haven't done that yet, I thought I would start preparing the water first. See what I would need to do so that when I start making my list of things to look for I know what I can get. Does that make sense?

Here is hte link, it also as the fish and inverts that and classifies how well they would go with seahorses. Plus I am a member of the forum over there so I can ask lots of questions there too.

http://www.seahorse.org/library/arti...ankmates.shtml

Thanks
Christina
Old 08-03-2004, 07:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
As long as you match the corals you're considering to the lighting of the tank, I think you'll be okay. Some of the corals on that list would be questionable IMO due the low flow needed by the seahorses. Mushroom corals are good low flow and low to moderate light corals. Some LPS corals would also fall into this category. It looks like you also want to stay away from anything that could sting the seahorses. Otherwise, sounds a like a cool idea...I may have to try it down the road. HTH
Old 08-04-2004, 12:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks, I seem to be getting the same advice to just maintain good water quality and the corals should be fine.

Thanks
Christina

Tags
reef, reef tank, starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com