Starting reef tank need help on what to get first time doing saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium advice master

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need help on what do get like type of filter, protein skimmer, should I get a sump or not and you know like what I need to set it up. I am thinking like a 50 or 55 gallon tank. Help please

What is your budget for this project?

I'd recommend a sump, no filter. Filters in reef systems can easily end up being nitrate traps. A good skimmer and the largest size sump you can get will go a long way towards success. Live rock will offer all the bio filtration you need, and the skimmer will help clean out proteins left from feeding, waste, etc. A filter sock can be used on the drain line to the sump, if you decide you need mechanical filtration, though I have gone both ways and ultimately I have been running my reef for a couple years with no mechanical filtration.

What are you considering for lighting?

That should be doable... it'll be tight. You looking for a used tank? You plan on drilling it or using an overflow?

Well if you aren't going to drill and you want a sump, you don't have any other choice... unless you buy a reef ready tank new or used... if new it will eat a good portion of your budget.

If you have a sump there are two options: A drilled tank, or an overflow.

Ok then I will get an overflow for the sump and then if I have no filter can I put filter stuff in the stump with the live rock and sand.

What filter stuff are you planning on?

I'd recommend no sand in the sump. It makes a mess and can be hard to keep clean. Live rock fragments can be good, but they do need to be cleaned out every now and then.

Like de nitrate and other ammonia and nitrate removing stuff. And should I get a phosphate reactor i found one for like 60$

You don't need any of that to start a reef. Just need a skimmer, a couple heaters, and some live rock rubble for your sump.

If you want a reef, I'd stay away from florescent. LED works very well, metal halide is still out there and works great but generates a lot of heat and is expensive to run.

For a budget, a couple of the taotronics units would work well.
TaoTronics TT AL09 Dimmable LED Aquarium Light 120W Coral Reef Tank | eBay

Just be aware that not all LEDs are the same, the type you choose is important. There is a lot of garbage out there.

You'll also need a return pump, I'd recommend either the Eheim or Mag pumps if you are ok with a submersible... they both work well. Eheims cost more but are quieter.
Mag Drive - Bulk Reef Supply

For a skimmer, a good budget model is the bubble magus NAC3.5+ for your sized tank.
Bubble Magus BM-NAC3.5 Cone Protein Skimmer - Bulk Reef Supply

A better model if you want to spend the dough are the reef octopus skimmers.

For power heads, lots of options. For a budget, the Koralia pumps work well form hydor.
Hydor - Bulk Reef Supply

The nicer ones are the Vortech MP10s... but they are pricey.

K then how much live rock and how much power heads do i need. And how do I put that light on the tank.

2 small to mid sized powerheads will work well. You'll want 60-70lbs of live rock.

You will need to either sit it on top of a glass top, or hang it from the ceiling, like I have with my Aqua Illumination Sols:

The other big consideration is you will need an RODI system if you don't have one. The bulk reef supply RODI systems are a good balance of quality and budget. Avoid the really cheap ebay type systems... you will just end up replacing it down the road.

Would probably go with a nuvo 34. Or something like that. Could get one for like 600. Still have money for sand, live rock, fish, coral etc. Maybe still have enough to upgrade lighting. 1300 sounds like a ok budget. But once you start it goes like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom