Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-15-2004, 10:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
starting salt

Ok, another slew of questions about salt. I was just given a 55 gallon tank all set up for cichlids - been keeping freshwater for a number of years...
I want to set up a 55 gallon saltwater tank. Is that size easy to work with? I dont really know what I'm gonna do with it - I want to do things the right way, even the easier way since this is my first adventure...
Could you informed people help me with a list of what I might have to purchase to get this baby goin? I dont really know what kind of fish(recommendations) to think about. Rock? I dunno, I know I want a sand floor. A fish only tank would be cool to me if it is easier. Fill me with info please and in the mean time I'm gonna go buy a book or two.
As far as i know all im getting is a tank, stand, hood with poor lighting, maybe heater---the usual stuff.

hadvisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 10:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via Yahoo to Wally
Dont buy anything until you have read the books and asked questions.

I purchased a 55 a little over a year ago and then bought things the LFS recommended to me based on what I wanted at the time. (FO w/fake corals) before I ever put a fish in it I had changed my mind to a reef with live rock etc...therefore some of the equipment the lfs recommended to me was no longer used.

Spend time not money, doing the reasearch first to determine what you want will save you money.

The more I learn the less I know
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 05:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
ok, live rock/live sand - what kind of skimmer would you guys recommend for a 55? No holes in the tank so hang on back is the only way to go? I dunno-i would appretiate your input...
hadvisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 05:47 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
If you want the tank to be drilled you can have it drilled. Verify its not tempered glass that your drilling. If you dont want to drill then yes hang on back is only option. A skimmer i like for that size tank would be the Remora C. Live rock you should go with at a minimum 55-75lbs and a 4" sandbed. Thats of course if you want live rock and live sand.

I strongly recommnend the following book to all beginners. Is the book "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert M. Fenner You can find it and many other good books linked here. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/saltbook.php

You should think about if you want a Fish Only setup or a Fish with Live Rock or a Reef setup. Knowing what kidn of setup you want will allow you to not buy the incorrect equipment like lighting, filtration, etc.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

salt, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com