starting sw setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sandman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,
First im going to repeat what ive seen posted numerous times, this is the greatest forum ive been involved with regarding any topic.

I just bought a 55 gal, wanna setup as sw, i read about the cycles on this forum, but the thing i need help with is what filter to choose and other equipment. Plan on having LR with about 3 or 4 fishes if possible.

Thanks

I am mid-cycle on my tank right now, i use Liverock as my natural filter, and also have a BakPak II skimmer. You are gonna want two powerheads, maxijet 1200's should be good, probably two heaters. 3-4 fishes? are you talking to cycle your tank? a lot of people would recommend using two raw shrimp instead of damsels. It has the same effect and you are not torturing fish and you dont have to worry about taking them out after your cycle. Good luck.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
For filtration you should consider a 4 inch sand bed, 100lbs of LR and a good skimmer. That is about as natural as you can get and should work just fine.

Thanks for the welcome.
I said 3 or 4 fish due to the fact that i didnt know if i could have more. My LFS stated that they have a Hagen Fluval Canister Filter 304 that would do the job, but i just would like your opinion before i start. Once again, mostly a LR enviroment and some fish.

thanks all for the response

I said 3 or 4 fish due to the fact that i didnt know if i could have more.
It really depends on the fish you plan to keep. If they are small, you could certainly have more then that. You may want to stick with smaller species like clowns, bassletts, dwarf angels, gobies and chromis.

Back
Top Bottom