Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-13-2015, 10:29 PM   #11
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
Originally Posted by hensleyjk View Post
No chance of any arguments here. My area has (had) a reef club that has slowly dithered away, and he was one of the big members. I think more than anything with the "cycled water" bit is an attempt to make some money on me because I mentioned being new to saltwater. He offered water at $1/gal which is dumb IMO as I wouldn't ever put someone's used tank water into my system. If I do choose to get rock from him, if I cannot specifically hand pick pieces my self from his system, eliminating any chance of being hoodoo'd, I won't even bother. He's offering it at $3/lb, my LFS is $2.25 for dry if they have any. He claims to have over 1000lbs of cured live total and wanting to sell 2-300lbs.

If you can get dry rock for cheaper, then I would go with the cheaper option. That way I would have extra cash for something else to plug onto the system that I want. At 75 cents cheaper a lb will be over 50 dollars in savings that a cocktail shrimp will turn live in a couple of weeks.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
This is true Hank. Still need to source a few pcs of equipment..

PassengerTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:33 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
... just my two cents. Nothing quite as entertaining as watching cocktail shrimp expand into a fuzzy blob for two weeks. Rewarding as hell.
nwsharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:08 PM   #14
Fish R friends, not food!

If he is pulling your leg with the water statement, I would be worried about what could be in the rock. I just started my 120 reef with all dry rock and cycled it in the tank. I have no worries of unwanted hitch hikers or anything else. Save the money and spend it on other equipment. You will be happy you did!

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote

cure, live, live rock, red, rock, star, start, starting, starting tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com