Starting to Cycle my new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warnerg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok i've done 3 weeks of research and now im kinda questioning myself. i have 6 lbs of rock, 4lbs of it are cured. i have live sand and a little sand from an existing tank. my lfs told me i need to help start my cycle take off so i was talked into buying a damsel. i know you can cycle a tank either by fish or fishless. is it bad to have both? when the levels get high i may be able to take the fish back. what should i do? this is day 2.
YouTube - New saltwater tank day 2 (this is my youtube blog about my saltwater tank)

You can do a fishless cycle with a raw shrimp; it's more humane. You can get 2ppm within a few days and that will start your cycle. I would take the damsel back now. How would you feel with your eyes and lungs douse with powerful ammonia? The damsel's going thru worse. And find a new LFS! lol Just my opinion.

i have decided that ill keep everything the way it is and just test the water every day for a week or so at least and do water changes

Back
Top Bottom