Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question Starting to Cycle my new tank

ok i've done 3 weeks of research and now im kinda questioning myself. i have 6 lbs of rock, 4lbs of it are cured. i have live sand and a little sand from an existing tank. my lfs told me i need to help start my cycle take off so i was talked into buying a damsel. i know you can cycle a tank either by fish or fishless. is it bad to have both? when the levels get high i may be able to take the fish back. what should i do? this is day 2.
YouTube - New saltwater tank day 2 (this is my youtube blog about my saltwater tank)

Old 03-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can do a fishless cycle with a raw shrimp; it's more humane. You can get 2ppm within a few days and that will start your cycle. I would take the damsel back now. How would you feel with your eyes and lungs douse with powerful ammonia? The damsel's going thru worse. And find a new LFS! lol Just my opinion.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Patience in this hobby is rewarded.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i have decided that ill keep everything the way it is and just test the water every day for a week or so at least and do water changes

Tags
cycle, starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com