Starting to cycle my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ndw

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have added my water to my 275 litre reef tank I am going to add my live rock and sand in a few days when the water is at temperature, what is the best way to start the tank cycling? Should I add a shrimp to start the ammonia off? This is all new to me so any help is appreciated thankyou.

shrimp, watch levels when ammonia :0, nitrite: 0 and nitrate: present your are cycled.... then you can do a water change, dose some ammonia to make sure its cycled. Add fish, coral, and enjoy the tank.

What shrimp is best. And I take it this is a live shrimp. Does this get added now ? I apologise for my stupidity

nonononono not live.

its dead, just a single cocktail shrimp from the super market. put it in a pair of pantyhose and throw her in. once everything is ready.

might be worth pm-ing sniperhank and asking, i know he is a vast encyclopedia of knowledge and knows alot about this

I've read you can also do it by just adding live rock and sand? Is that true or is it not very effective

Adding sand and rocks that already have a BB build up, results in some bacteria die-off. that small amount of dying bacteria will give a small amount of ammonia, feeding other bacteria. Unfortunately it is not enough to feed enough bacteria to then support livestock. So adding another ammonia source is really needed. I prefer the ammonia dosing method as it is much cleaner (as compared to letting a cocktail shrimp rot in the tank).

Back
Top Bottom