Starting to get this brown hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Degonese

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm still cycling my tank, andI started to get this weird hair like brown algae growing everywhere. Is this normal? Is it a good thing or a bad thing? Should I scrub it all off? What happens next? I'm really wondering about this, because I don't want to mess up the cycle and have to start over. Thanks

It's Normal. Diatoms is common with a new tank setup. I would not worry about it... It will burn out over time or a few weeks....

Once your cycle is done, you will get CUC (Clean Up Crew) and they will take care of those diatoms, and you don't even have to clean it up :)

This would be week 3. The Ammonia is 2.5, Nitrate is 40 (in the low range), and the Nitrite is .5. I got a new light, it's a Coral Sun (Actinic 420). Is that a good light for a Reef tank? I still have a few fish left in the tank. I feel bad though because I know they're going through torcher right now. But I don't have any place else to put them. Any thoughts?

Oh ya, one more... For 75gal tank, how much live rock do you think I need? Especially for a good start on a Reef Tank.

Well degonese a fishless cycle would have been the way to go however you are past the point of no return on that one... As for the light it will not be nearly enough for a reef setup. I would suggest doing alot of research on here before you go any further. Research is key!!

I would maybe think about doing some PWC`s for your fish. Just make sure the ammonia does not go over where it is now. It will slow your cycle up but it might save the fish also. As far as the LR at least 1 lb per gallon as suggested above. Is your light just regular flourecent or VHO? Is it just one bulb?

This would be week 3. The Ammonia is 2.5, Nitrate is 40 (in the low range), and the Nitrite is .5. I got a new light, it's a Coral Sun (Actinic 420). Is that a good light for a Reef tank? I still have a few fish left in the tank. I feel bad though because I know they're going through torcher right now. But I don't have any place else to put them. Any thoughts?

I am pretty much of a newbie at this stuff, but IMO you should not have added fishes to your tank until you have already had your ammonia and nitrate levels spike and go back down to 0. If you did do that and now your levels are that high, then either you overloaded way too fast and overwhelmed your bioload, or maybe have not been doing sufficiant PWC??As far as the hair algae, a good clean up crew will take care of this eventually, alot is just a part of a natural cycling tank... Have you been doing water tests regularly since you started the tank?

I am doing PWC's, and the Ammonia level has gone down a little. Not at Zero yet, but it's a start. The Nitrate and Nitrite levels are starting to go up the. They higher than they have ever been. As for my lighting... Right now I have a twin bulb Flourecent light. One bulb is normal Flourecent, and the other is a 10,000K Sun Coral bulb and is an Actinic 420. But With a little research and some budgeting I'm looking at getting a 48" Dual MH/T5 Classic fixture. My goal to have a Reef tank, So I'm working on getting all the propper things I need while the cycle is going.
One more Question. I've been trying to research sumps and how they work. Along with all the different set ups. I find bits and peices of what I'm looking for here and there, but nothing showing or stating step by step info. Any sites anyone may know about that can give me a step by step instructions to building and/or putting one together?
Thanks for all the help so far.

Back
Top Bottom