Starting to plan next tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I have my 29 reef right now that I am about to change over to a single GSP tank and remove the corals.

I have an empty 55 lying on the floor, and have found a cheap unused 75 gallon. I always planned on using the 55 as the sump/refugium for a larger SW tank.

So, here shortly I plan on building a tank stand for a 75 reg. built for hte overflow and with the room underneath to place and hide the 55 gallon. giving me roughly 100 actual gallons of water (taking into account live rock, upmps, substrate etc)

What I would like to do is start off with a 2-3 inch sandbed, set flow up in the main tank so that the water return is on the opposite side of the tank as the overflow, so that it is a one directional current.

Intead of the normal stacking of live rock upwards, I am thinking that what I want to do is cover the sandbed with small live rock pieces, between 5-8 inches as the longest dimension, a few inches thick but spaced so that smaller fish and inverts can move between the LR and to the sandbed. And do a thin stack of live rock on the far end of the tank to hide the overflow, and maybe leave at most a square foot of open sand in the front corner furthest from the overflow.

I probably will not have enough LR in the main tank, but that is part of the reason for the sump, to have more LR and LR rubble though as well.

For fish, I have NO IDEA what type of fish I want. I am thinking that I want 1-2 medium 6-8 inch fish as the centerpieces, and then a small school of smaller fish, i.e. chromis or something, along with 1-2 small-med gobies in the bottom of the tank.

For corals, I am thinking I will stick with my soft corals, leathers, mushrooms, zooanthids, and I may venture into the harder corals if I have the lighting for them over the tank.

So, is this doable with a 75 gallon with 55 sump/refuge? (And as of right now aside from knowing that I need a major sized pump and some serious lighting for it, don't know what all I have to do as far as designing the sump)

Any suggestions on what fish would best suit my desires? Maybe some type of Dwarf Angels or something?

Back
Top Bottom