Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2005, 08:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Starting Up

Hello all.

I am new to the saltwater tank game, but am reading up and wish to begin a 55 gallon fish only tank with live rock. Eventually I would like to upgrade to reef, but will begin with fish until I get more experience. Being a novice, I have some basic, but specific questions. First, is anyone aware of some good online aquarium stores or sites where I could find the tank and necessary equiptment at reasonable prices? Second is a filter question. What is the difference between cannister vs. wet/dry and what other equiptment is needed for each (e.g. powerhead)? Which would be better for a 55 gallon eventual reef? Lastly, I live in a small town, fairly isolated, and was wondering if anyone has ordered fish etc. online and how it has gone for them? Thank you all very much for your help.
:P

Old 02-28-2005, 08:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
First, is anyone aware of some good online aquarium stores or sites where I could find the tank and necessary equiptment at reasonable prices?
www.captivereefs.com
www.drsfostersmith.com
www.liveaquaria.com
www.liverocks.com
www.marinedepot.com
Quote:
Second is a filter question. What is the difference between cannister vs. wet/dry and what other equiptment is needed for each (e.g. powerhead)? Which would be better for a 55 gallon eventual reef?
Cannister filters are kind of like swimming pool filters. It is a closed filter system that filters the water. Wet/Drys operate a bit differently. They provide an aerobic (with oxygen) area in some leg of the filter cycle. Both types provide the tank with more water flow, mechanical filtration and chemical filtration. They also provide the thris type of filtration, biological filtration, but neither really does a good job of it. Enter the live rock. LR is your best source for biological filtration and one of the best things youcan add to a marine tank. 1.5-2lbs/gal of LR, 4-6 inch DSB and a good protein skimmer are really all you need for a great filter system. Two or three powerheads can be added inside the tank as used to water moverment/current.
Quote:
Lastly, I live in a small town, fairly isolated, and was wondering if anyone has ordered fish etc. online and how it has gone for them?
Many people order supplies, fish, invets, corals, LR and LS online. There are several companies (some listed above) that do a great job at packaging these items for transport and many are actually only in transport for less then 20hrs.
The next thing I suggest you get is a good book. I like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. The book will become invaluable.
Lastly...Welcom to AquariumAdvice.com!!

Old 02-28-2005, 10:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the quick reply. The info was great and I have already ordered teh book you mentioned.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. The info was great and I have already ordered teh book you mentioned.

Tags
starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com