Starting up - 55g - opinions for gear and stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are some images of what I did under my tank....This is a custom built stand (I built it) it will hold a 90g tank (48" tank)

sump1qv2.jpg

returnaue5.jpg

fugeaqf9.jpg

This is right before I moved the tank...the hood is off and I'm disconnecting the plumbing...but you can see the stand a little closer.
gonnamoveuj0.jpg

The tank, stand and hood moved into the new spot 3 feet from where it was.
tankcabinet2el4.jpg

I am not sure if it was part of another post, but can you include pics of the canopy and your lighting. I am getting a 55g ready to be a FOWLR tank, and am designing a stand and canopy to accomodate my gear and lighting. My wife doesn't like the very tall canopies, and yours seems to be a nice size.

Oh, and very nice set up (both inside and out!). Thanks!

Nice setup. Yes, please show a pic of your lighting if possible.

Thanks!!! Kizayaen, not trying to hog your thread....I'll see about getting this moved into its own. Sorry...

I will have to take some pics of the canopy when it is open I haven't done that. I will and will post them for you guys. My lights consist of 2 175wMH and 2 110w 48" VHO super actinic URIs.

Ziggy953 said:
Thanks!!! Kizayaen, not trying to hog your thread....I'll see about getting this moved into its own. Sorry...

Oops, sorry Kizayaen! I didn't realize that Ziggy953 wasn't the op! My bad!

No apologies necessary, I'm glad to see it! For some reason though I haven't been getting the notification emails of new posts that I'd been seeing, so I wasn't aware there was even a reply after my last until I checked in on a whim...

Kizayaen, if you continue experiening issues with email notification then go to the homepage and under the welcome section choose "Edit My Profile".

From there go to the preferences section and make sure you've selected yes to the "Always notify me of replies" question

How is the tank coming along? I haven't read any new posts from you lately and was just checking on things....

I'm not gonna have anything to show off for a fair long time. I'm still in the "saving up money" stage for at least a few months before I even start buying equipment. I just figured that it'd be very helpful to figure out exactly what I wanted to put in there as far as fish and whatnot so I'd know exactly what hardware I needed before I started spending cash, and I sometimes tend to get waaaaaaayyy too carried away with the planning.

I know the feeling! Basically if you get a good sized tank, good lighting, an above par skimmer (can handle larger then your tank) and a few power heads you are well on your way. I've been in this for about 18months now. I got my tank 3 months before I had even started building my stand for it. It was another couple of months after the stand was built before I had lights on the tank. I know where you are right now and you want to do everything right the first time and that is awesome, but I can promise one thing, no matter what you buy or save for there will always be something to upgrade or change later. Heck I went from a 75g wet/dry filter with 260w PC light to a 3 stage sump/fuge and 570w of MH and VHO lighting. Now I want a bigger tank or maybe just take my 55FW and turn it into another reef. Bottom line is make good choices and listen to those who have been there and done that and you will do well first time around.

Back
Top Bottom