Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Starting up a 135g sw tank

I just got a custom 135g and don't know what and how many fish I can do. I am going to do live rock and coral..I also just finished up my 55g sump for it. How many gph do I need. I want color and odd looking fish in there.

Jonnypro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
there's no real rule of thumb when it comes to sw. it all depends on your tank size, filters, and other equipment.

GPH flow will also be determined by what corals you want to keep.

Best bet is to figure out what fish and corals you want to keep and go from there. The nice thing is that with a 135g tank you can have some very nice and larger fish (tangs, some triggers etc). Just depends what you want to keep.

225G Reef Upgrade
AquaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
With a 135 gal tank you'll probably want about 5x turnover thru the sump or around 700 gph. For the rest of your tank you'll want a total of 30-50x turnover. SPS corals normally need the upper end flow while LPS need the lower end. Of course it does vary depending on setup tho.
Ingy is offline   Reply With Quote

1.5g, starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com