Starting up a 29G nanocube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

g3ddan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all and thanks for the welcome. Yesterday my wife and I started a new 29G nano-cube we purchased. We are getting back into the hobby after a horrible experience (mostly our inexperience) years ago.

We got a good deal on a complete cube, power heads, wave maker, heater 100W, stand, hood, and lights. Turns out the lights are CF, probably why the 350.00 (cheap) price, but still worth it.

On start up yesterday we used live sand 20lb, live rock 20lb, and ROI water we bought from the shop. (being lazy) I left the power heads running throughout the night and the tank was clear when we got up this morning.

At 18 hours here are the first test results:
Refractometer - SG 28 / salinity 1.022 PPT
PH 8.0
Ammonia 2.5 PPM
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.0 PPM

Which leads to the following questions:
1) There was a packet of clarifier in the live sand. Should I use it?
2) The heater is set to 78. I'm noticing a heat spike to 82 degrees and climbing this morning. Should I back the heater off or let it go?
3) What setting should I use to cycle the powerheads? continuous or one of the settings between 10 seconds and 6 minutes?
4) I've noticed some junk in the particle sponge in the filter. Should I rinse it this early?

I should have mentioned we are doing a fishless cycle, rock and sand only.
Thanks.

Just talked to my tank guy. I threw the clarification packet away, set the wave maker to 90 seconds, and since cycling doesn't emit heat, i'm trying to figure out why the heat spike. Nano mention chillers, I think I might need one.

Try to find another heater most times when they go bad they stick in the on position Unplug the old one and check the temp after 24 hrs Also i'd wait and rinse the sponge in the old tank water when you do a PWC

Back
Top Bottom