starting up a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ditchdoctor81

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been reading the forums for the last few weeks & have a few questions. I'm planning on starting a 30 gallon FOWLR. I want a bigger tank, but we are in the market for buying a new house with in the next year. And I think it would be easier to move a 30g than a 100 or larger gallon.

When I set it up I'm planning on using 1/2 aragonite sand & 1/2 live sand. Is this ok? Is about 2" deep ok? I'm going to go with all LR. Since I'm going to cycle my tank with LR do I still need to use a raw shrimp? I'm planning on using 2 Marineland Penguin 1140 PH. Is this ok or would something else be better? I'm planning on going with the Coralife Super Skimmer 125, any other suggestions if it's not ok? Is a 150w to 200w heater ok? What lights? We are wanting to go with inverts, a clownfish, & either a blenny or gobie. Later we might add an anemone, but for now that's it. What lights would be best for this setup? I have read that after the tank cycles would it be best to start with a fish & then add the inverts....is this correct? If so how long would I wait to add the inverts? Or if it's wrong if I add the inverts about how long before I add a fish?

Thanks for the help in advance, any suggestions to what I have listed would be great.

Welcome to AA :D

A 30 gal will be easier to move so that sounds fine. The smaller tank will also be cheaper to setup with lr costs. Keep in mind that you will be limited to about 6" to 8" of adult fish length.

liveaquaria.com has a great nano fish section.

Anywhere between 2"-4" of sand is fine. Where do you plan on getting your "live" sand? If from a lfs make sure it's from a tank that has corals to avoid copper contamination, otherwise I'd just get all aragonite sand.

Using lr to cycle the tank is all you will need if it's uncured lr and has enough die-off to get your nh3 to 2-3+ ppm. I'd get 50 to 60 lbs of lr.

I've used the Penguin 1140 (300 GPH) for over 15 years (same one) and it's worked flawlessly. It does vibrate a little and can cause some noise with it's default hanging hook but if you supper glue some rubber stoppers against it there is no noise. I'd put one on each side of the tank in the back and point the deflector towards the middle front of the tank to get good convulsing currents.

The Coralife Super Skimmer 125 is a beast of a skimmer and unless you are also going to have a 10+ gal sump I'd avoid the HOB method for this skimmer on such a small tank personally. The Bak Pak Skimmer 2R or Aqua C Remora Pro would be better options IMO.

I assume you are talking about mobile inverts like hermits, snails, shrimp. You can add either inverts or fish or both after the cycle. The inverts have a small bio-load and I'd get about 6 hermits/snails to start off with making sure to drip acclimate them for a couple of hours. I'd hold off on any shrimp for 3+ months to give your tank time to stabilize.

I'd only add 1-2 small fish every 3+ weeks to give your tank time to adjust. A qt tank is highly recommended.

WELCOME TO AA!!!

Please to do not cycle your tank with live animals
I don't think it matters if you add fish or inverts first, after your cycle.

Welcome to AA!

In my opinion, I'd wait until you move to do the 100g. EVERYONE wants a bigger tank after they get their first one, believe me.

Or, I guess you could go light (not a whole bunch for lights and stuff) on the 30g and use it for a QT tank later.

Still, I'd wait for the larger tank if you had to choose between the two.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks for the help everyone. After we move we will be getting the 100g as a FOWLR & probably make the 30g a reef tank.

I'll check out the other skimmers mentioned. :)

after looking at the 2 skimmers (Bak-Pak 2R & Aqua C Remora Pro) posted earlier I have a couple of questions...

1. The Bak-Pak 2R is a little cheaper & it says it's for tanks up to 60gal & some of them have a bio-filter included.

I'm planning on going with lr, so I wouldn't need the extra filter right? So I could just get the one without the filter?

2. The Aqua C Remora Pro is about 70 to 80 bucks more, but it says it's for tanks over 75 gal.

Since in 9 months to a year I'm planning on going to a 100 gal & keeping the 30 gal could I use this skimmer for the 100 when I get? Or would I have to buy a larger one for the 100 gal anyway?

If I have totally confused anyone let me know & I'll try to explain...because I think I've confused myself now.... :D

The Bak-Pak comes with or without bio-balls. You want the reef version or the 2R that comes without bio-balls. That should be fine for your 30 gal tank. When you get your 100 gal tank you will want a more powerful skimmer like the AquaC EV 180.

It mostly depends on what you will use your 100 gal tank for. If you plan to mostly keep corals with limited fish(15" total adult length or less) then you could just use the AquaC Pro for both tanks. If you think you will want closer to 20"-25" total adult length then I'd get the better skimmer when you get your 100 gal tank.

Back
Top Bottom