Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-15-2014, 01:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Starting up my 55 gal saltwater tank need some tips

Hello guys. I have set up my tank and I just wanted to see if I can get any tips and pointers. I am new to this hobby but I've been researching trying to figure best ways to start things.

I have a 55 gal corner tank. I picked it up used from a friend but i cleaned it and started with new live sand, made new salt water and added about 20 pounds of live rock. I've had the tank running for about a week and with live rock for 3 days. I am using a heater and water is set at around 82 degrees. I have 2 regular fish tank lights on. Algae and purple looking algae has began to get on the live rock.

My questions are what do I still need to start the cycle and what should I do to start cycle? Any tips with be appreciated.

dosxxpapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I do plan to add more live rock in the next couple days. Should I do the shrimp method to help out with cycle. And is there anything I should be doing throughout the days and weeks that I need to help finish cycle? Or am I doing something wrong that I need I correct?
dosxxpapi is offline   Reply With Quote

ate, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, star, start, starting, tan, tank, tips, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com