Startup/cycling ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgraz

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I just finished setting up my FOWLR 44gal corner pentagon. About 43lbs of already cured live rock. The rock came from tanks that already had fish and other critters in it. My question is, will this still cycle normally? Also I have seen a number of critters in the tank since adding the rock including a sponge, a couple of red legged hermits, some kind of tiny snail, tiny starfish, and at least a few mini brittle stars. will they be ok during the cycle, and can i add more snails to control the algea during the cycle? Thanks in advance
Graz

was this rock transported submerged in water then just put in the tank? if so, you may not see a cycle at all, just a diatom bloom on the new surfaces. if it was transported out of water, you may have a cycle due to the die off.

It was out of the water but covered with some wet newspaper for about 30 min. I have done some readings and do have some ammonia .25, and nitrites can't remember total,and some nitrates also cant remember not too high though.

yeah, i'm not too keen on the wet newspaper method. stuff still dies. i like to bring a lot of buckets and take all the guys water when i leave :)

here is my last few days of readings
...............Monday........Tuesday.........Wednesday
ph............. 8.0.............. 8.0.................8.0
Ammonia......25................25................0-.25(color looks inbetween)
Nitrites.........0.................0....................0
Nitrates........0................20....................0

Not sure whats going on. Am i ready?

ammonia needs to be zero
when ammo is zero, check your nitrites again
to get the nitrates to 0 did u do a water change?

nope the trates went down without a PWC.

As far as what I have been told the Nitrates can not go to 0 without PWC. I would suspect a flawed reading on the one where it went up or on the one where it went down.

I purchased some very nice cured live rock and transported for about 1-1/2 hours in nothing but a cooler. Had almost no cycle. After waiting for about 3 weeks, I finally dosed some pure ammonia and bingo, everything read as if it was a two or three year old tank.

Yeah i think it was a flawed reading. Maybe i didn't shake bottle 2 or somthing. Today my readings were perfect 8.0,0,0,10

Back
Top Bottom