Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-22-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Steer me in the right direction! - starting a new SW tank

Ok, so I have a friend who is giving me a fifty gallon tank. I need to know what I will need to start a salt water aqaurium. Im looking to have some cool fish and coral, along with a couple sea horses. Im completely new to salt water aqauriums so any help will do me good. I read on google that there are many different types of salt water aqauriums and im unsure what kind will work for me. I will be asking more questions because like I said im completely new to this. Thanks!!!

thatsaltwaterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
Welcome to AA Here is a good thread/article that should go over most everything you'll need Btw, pay no attention to the links in my signature, theyre mainly geared towards freshwater cycling

Equipment for a new SW tank

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Moved to SW forum for better exposure.
80 gal FW with 30 gal DIY wet/dry/sump.
9 fancy golds, 1 hillstream loaches, 1 rubber-lip pleco (C. thomasi), 3 SAEs, small school of white cloud minnows, planted.
jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
welcome to AA. You have to make up your mind as you can't mix Seahorses with regular fish. They need different requirements as to water movement and feeding. Google it and make up your mind as to which way you want to go.
Happy Reefing,
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
is back to save the day!

Let it also be known that keeping seahorses really aren't for the novice saltwater aquarists, and it should definitely not be in your possession if you are just currently starting a saltwater tank, with no prior experience or handling regarding saltwater aquariums. You can do whatever you like, but it is in your best interest to get accustomed to the whole saltwater game, and how everything works, and experience some of the ups and downs that come along with this hobby before you step up your game to the animals that require more experienced handlers to not only be kept alive, but happy and thriving. Because in a saltwater tank, your main goal is for your tank not to just live, but to thrive.

Also, just something to think about. Starting up this 50G tank will not be cheap. If you plan to have coral, you will need excellent lighting because 50G tanks are pretty deep and have lots of surface area, and lighting is NOT cheap, even for small aquariums. You will also need a great skimmer as well because in a tank that large, proper filtration will be a must. So you definitely can't skimp on filtration for a 50G tank. The link that mfdrookie posted will help you with the rest of the things you need like heaters, ro/di, and the likes. But nonetheless, a 50G tank is a great place to start and you're very lucky that you received this tank as most tanks over 40G's are very expensive.

Remember, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. So if you have any questions, please ask us. It's what we're here for. To help.

Good Luck!
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote

direction, starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com