Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithcinema View Post
U don't want to get the ph down u want to get it up around 8.1

Yes, you are right, sorry I mistyped. How do I get it up?

Old 12-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Your salt mix and water changes will get your pH up to where it needs to be. Also surface agitation via powerheads or other circulation pumps can help keep it stable.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

Another question...do I really need the filter going? I want to get the good bacteria in it so that I can use it in my QT when I start stocking. Maybe take it out once it's cycled and I get some fish in there?
Old 12-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

leave the filter running if your going to transfer it to the qt.also PH reading vary throughout the day,morning low and just before lights out high.Dont worry about testing for anything but amm,trites and trates,then you can start on the rest.Keep any lights off whilst cycling to help prevent algae growth.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

So, my numbers are very regular now. I took the second shrimp out because it was stinky, but as of this morning my #s were:

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 30
Nitrite 0
pH 7.4 (still)

This seems like an awefully fast cycle to me. Shall I buy some ammonia, spike it to 4ppm and see what happens? Or can I go ahead and throw in a CUC?

When is too soon to throw in a CUC?
Old 12-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Looks like it may be done. I would dose it with pure ammonia to maybe 2-4ppm and see how fast it goes to 0 to be totally sure.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Looks like it may be done. I would dose it with pure ammonia to maybe 2-4ppm and see how fast it goes to 0 to be totally sure.
Thanks Carey! What do you think about that CUC? There is some grimey stuff in there from my rotting shrimp
Old 12-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'd wait to make sure youre cycled before adding anything alive. When you do your water change before stocking maybe you can vacuum up some of the nasty stuff?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #29
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Personally, it sounds like you are cycled to me. I see little harm in throwing in a hermit crab or 2 to clean up the mess you made.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

I decided to wait until the Boxing Day Sale to buy my clean up crew. Not only for the health of the animals, but also for the 50% discount

I'm glad that I did because this weekend I did the 50% pwc and my numbers are off again, it looks like I was only 1/2 way through the cycle.

My bacteria is ripping through the ammonia. I am spiking it daily to 4ppm and about 12-14 hours later it's at 0 again. My Nitrates are around 30-40ppm and my Nitrites are 10.0 + . They were so great before, but it looks like that was because it was only 1/2 way through the complete cycle.

Anyways, a few more weeks of waiting won't kill me. I'm now excited to say that my hubby is getting excited about the tank. He drove me to the LFS the other night and spent the time looking at fish, equipment, etc. He's now talking about helping stocking and buying me a bigger tank .

I have settled on my line up finally. This list is in order of how I'm going to put them in the tank too.

Goby x 2
Jawfish x 2-3
Puffer x 1
Kaudern's cardinal x1
Anthias x 2-3 (I think I'm going to go for a less agressive breed to aviod the bullying of the subordinates)

Let me know your thoughts.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com