Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Regular

Step 14 - Dry rock

I've received my termometer, a refractometer and the salt.

DRY ROCK - ordered 65 pounds of dry rock from BRS. I think that's all I need to start cycle my tank. I will get some live rock from a LFS to help the cycle. I've heard about using MICROBACTER7 to help with cycling also.

Next step - preparing salt water and aquascaping, post photos here!

Old 05-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

That should be plenty of rock to get you started. Your rock will all become live during the cycle. Leave some room because when you buy corals, a lot of them come on pieces of rock.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:57 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Regular

Salinity and temperature

Hello guys and gals.
Need a very basic help that for me is now crucial. Got to prepare my salt to fill in my tank tomorrow or so. What's the ideal temperature and salinity? Do I have to adjust the ph before adding the water to the tnk?

I've received my rocks, it's a lot and I really don't know if I will need all of it.

Also, to start cycle, can I use Microbacter7? My lfs is recommending that as I only have dry rock for now.

BIG THANKS!
Old 05-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peixe View Post
Hello guys and gals.
Need a very basic help that for me is now crucial. Got to prepare my salt to fill in my tank tomorrow or so. What's the ideal temperature and salinity? Do I have to adjust the ph before adding the water to the tnk?

I've received my rocks, it's a lot and I really don't know if I will need all of it.

Also, to start cycle, can I use Microbacter7? My lfs is recommending that as I only have dry rock for now.

BIG THANKS!
Temp should be around 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Start with 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of water. This will get you pretty close to 1.025 salinity. You don't have to adjust the PH, as your salt mix should get it where it needs to be. As far as a bacterial additive, it's up to you. I've had good luck with Instant Ocean Bio-Spira, but have not tried Microbacter 7. Keep in mind, these types of additives are not necessary. The cycling process can be easily completed with a raw shrimp wrapped in a nylon bag or stocking and tossed in the tank. This will achieve the same thing over time.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you're going to go with the added bacteria, I would like to chime in with a recommendation. I don't like the way these additives are designed to work. They add the bacteria to the water coloum and then they eat the ammonia you add. Then they die!
In order to get the bacteria truely on the rocks, what you can do is add some of your rocks to a 5 gal or smaller bucket (tightly packed) and fill with salt water just to cover the rocks. Then add ALL the bottled bacteria. They will now find they get into the rocks in the bucket as there is no where else to go. Leave it for 2-3 days. then remove the rocks from the bucket and immediately add to the tank. Get rid of the left over bucket water, as you don't want free swimming bacteria impacting the results.
The bacteria on the rocks will now spread to other rocks slowly and create a stronger, more reliable BB colony and cycle.
When the rocks are in the bucket, you can even start the cycle in the main tank by adding the raw shrimp or ammonia.

Just a thought!
Old 05-10-2013, 04:20 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the info, specially on the pH thing...!
Old 05-10-2013, 04:21 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
If you're going to go with the added bacteria, I would like to chime in with a recommendation. I don't like the way these additives are designed to work. They add the bacteria to the water coloum and then they eat the ammonia you add. Then they die!
In order to get the bacteria truely on the rocks, what you can do is add some of your rocks to a 5 gal or smaller bucket (tightly packed) and fill with salt water just to cover the rocks. Then add ALL the bottled bacteria. They will now find they get into the rocks in the bucket as there is no where else to go. Leave it for 2-3 days. then remove the rocks from the bucket and immediately add to the tank. Get rid of the left over bucket water, as you don't want free swimming bacteria impacting the results.
The bacteria on the rocks will now spread to other rocks slowly and create a stronger, more reliable BB colony and cycle.
When the rocks are in the bucket, you can even start the cycle in the main tank by adding the raw shrimp or ammonia.

Just a thought!
Never heard about it... loved the idea and I think I will do that,since I already bought the bacteria...
Old 05-11-2013, 02:09 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Regular

Step 15 - Filling tank up starting cycle

Tank is filled and after 24 hours or less the water is very clear. Aquascaping is kinda temporary. Here is my first numbers:

pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
NItrate: 0
Temp: 80.5F
Salinity: 1.015

I will adjust salinity on the sump. I was sure that it was different when I had the water in the mixing container.

Added 3 table shrimps, after these readings.

Now, as I have heard a lot... let's be patient!!!
Old 05-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Regular

Step 16 - Pictures of 2nd day

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/...ps25e19413.jpg

I still have to put on my canopy, only have to find a nice fan to put under it and help with ventilating the halides...
Old 05-14-2013, 02:13 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Regular

4th Day parameters

pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 1.0
Nitrite: 0
NItrate: 0
Temp: 79.3F
Salinity: 1.020 (added salt)

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com