Step-by-step 75 reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe you can put a b/w and an orange clown in together if they are the same species. Best to get them together if you can.

First water change

I think it's time for my first water change, after 3 weeks of cycling.

Here are my numbers:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40

I'm going to do a PWC tomorrow, should I remove about 50% of the water, or even more? Or maybe do it in parts...? No clue at all, please help.

Some people have done 100% water changes after cycling. All the BB is on surfaces, not in the water itself. So do as much as you want/can!

following along.
I have a 75 gallon as well and it is the perfect size starter tank. you may never feel the need to upgrade.

yes you can mix a b/w ocellaris with a normal orange ocellaris. make sure they are the same species and you don't get an orange percula .

50-75% water change is a good idea, but as mentioned change as much as you're comfortable with.

following along.
I have a 75 gallon as well and it is the perfect size starter tank. you may never feel the need to upgrade.

yes you can mix a b/w ocellaris with a normal orange ocellaris. make sure they are the same species and you don't get an orange percula .

50-75% water change is a good idea, but as mentioned change as much as you're comfortable with.

Thank you. I'm gonna be doing it tomorrow. After the water change, what do I do befre putting the first fish in? I mean, after checking the basic nitro parameters?

There is nothing left to do but add a fish! Remember 1-2 fish at a time and wait several weeks inbetween. Have a read up on how to acclimate you new livestock safely :)

Agreed. You'll be good to go. I prefer drip acclimation unless it's a very hardy fish. Also remember, it is typically best to add less aggressive fish first and the more aggressive ones last.

There is nothing left to do but add a fish! Remember 1-2 fish at a time and wait several weeks inbetween. Have a read up on how to acclimate you new livestock safely :)

Yes!!! Just bought 2 clownfish... of course. Picking them up tomorrow...!

Agreed. You'll be good to go. I prefer drip acclimation unless it's a very hardy fish. Also remember, it is typically best to add less aggressive fish first and the more aggressive ones last.

All right. I"m also adding (besides the 2 clowns) 4 snails. Tomorrow is gonna be the day I'm waiting for so long...! I've been more excited the my 2 kids :)

All right. I"m also adding (besides the 2 clowns) 4 snails. Tomorrow is gonna be the day I'm waiting for so long...! I've been more excited the my 2 kids :)

believe it or not, you'll be even more excited when it comes time for coral.

Step 17 - adding fish

Hello Evrby,

added 2 clowns and they've been pretty happy. I'm giving them some mysis shrimp twice a day. Also have 4 Snails (big ones) and 2 Nassarius (so funny to watch...) 3 emerald crabs also very happy and eating out of my pipette already!

Water numbers:

pH 8.00
Amm 0
Nitri 0
Nitra 10

Doing another pwc tomorrow.

Also I see some brownish algae covering all the upper rocks and a little all over the sand...

Hello Evrby,

added 2 clowns and they've been pretty happy. I'm giving them some mysis shrimp twice a day. Also have 4 Snails (big ones) and 2 Nassarius (so funny to watch...) 3 emerald crabs also very happy and eating out of my pipette already!

Water numbers:

pH 8.00
Amm 0
Nitri 0
Nitra 10

Doing another pwc tomorrow.

Also I see some brownish algae covering all the upper rocks and a little all over the sand...

That is normal, every tank goes through the uglies. Those are diatoms and will go away on their own.

Be careful not to over feed, it's not a whole cube twice a day is it? I feed a cube to 7 adult fish once every two days and its plenty!

Even that much food is a lot. Can be fine with constant keep up/monitoring, and water changes. Hungry fish is a happy fish. :)

Step 18 - Adding Snails

New addition to the tank today... Snails

2 Caribbean Nerite Snails
2 Mexican Turbo Snails

I was told to add them slowly since I have only the 2 clowns.
BTW, I feeding the clowns twice a day, with a small amount of mysis shrimp, I mean 1 of those tabs is enough for almost 3 days... if not more.

NEXT STEP: Emerald crabs

Still a lot. And in the spirit of mr. X, ( your awesome Doug) snails turn food into poop. What is better? Neither, both hurt water quality. In salt water, you don't keep fish, you keep water. Everything should be based on water quality. If you do that, the fish will do great.

Still a lot. And in the spirit of mr. X, ( your awesome Doug) snails turn food into poop. What is better? Neither, both hurt water quality. In salt water, you don't keep fish, you keep water. Everything should be based on water quality. If you do that, the fish will do great.

Please let me know if I really need snails (specially these big ones) as a cuc. I don't see much beauty on them... what's a good cuc, if there is one...?

Step 19 - Emerald crabs

Just added 3 emerald crabs and they are looking awesome, very funny to watch... they are eating right from my pipete... nice guys... most of the time they are hidden in the rocks though
Next step - Nassarius snails

Step 20 - Nassarius

Added 2 Nassarius snails today. They went under the sand and I think I've lost them...! It's ok. I know it's just 2, but this is the way I want add things to my tank.
Next step - tang fishes

Step 21 - Adding tangs

Added 1 Yellow Tang and 1 Kole Tang ( the one with the yellow eye, I think this is its name). Told by someone that I"d better put them at the same day...
They are looking pretty happy, the yellow eye is always hiding... anyway.

Now... question about acclimation: how long should I keep adding tank water to the new adds... should I measure temp or other number before introdcing the fish in..?

Back
Top Bottom