Step-by-step 75 reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What are these little tiny creatures all over the glass? Like white copepods... thousands of them...kinda white. Is it bad? What to do...?

Sick fish ???

Noticed something on my fishes today, don't know what it is and neither what to do of course. It looks like little and tiny white things that I can't even get the shape of it... the same as the ones on the glass couple of days ago... PLEASE HELP !!! Everyone is happy and eating well but the Kole has a strange behavior... shaking itself all the time...
Here is my bioload (75g):

3 Emerald Crabs
2 small Clowns
1 Kole Tang
1 Yellow Tang
I Coral Banded Shrimp
2 Nassarius
2 Mexican snails

Numbers:

Temp: 81F
Salinity: 1.021
pH: 8.0
Ammo: 0
Nitrite 0
Trates: ~20 (PWC due in 2 days)

Just got a Alk, Ca and Mg kit but didn't read the directions yet

Thank you !!!

Sounds like you got a fish with Ich which can be hell to treat. Look up some pictures of it to see if that's what you really have.

If it is then have a look at this.
Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

I got that with one of my clowns that I naively didn't quarantine. I chose to go with the hyposalinity route of treatment in a seperate tank. 8 weeks of my tank being fallow and 6 weeks of hyposalinity for my fish. If you choose this route then you will need a refractometer.

Help on ICH

Just wondering if someone could help me on ich treatment.
I have four fish only as described before and seems that all of them are affected. 1 yellow and 1 kole tang and 2 clowns. Also 1 coral banded shr.

Can I treat them with hyposalinity or copper in the display tank? Or will it explode my bacteria by "exploding" them too?

What do I need to build a hospital tank or refugium? I'm lost, please help!!!

Do not do copper in the dt! I believe it is harsh on inverts and they won't survive it.

Hospital tank

Ok, I've decided to treat my fish in a separate tank for hyposalinity.
Can I use the DT water to fill the 20g tank and then with my fish in, my temp controlled start to low the salinity ?
How fast should I decrease the salinity?
How low should I go?
PLEASE HELP...!

Ok, I've decided to treat my fish in a separate tank for hyposalinity.
Can I use the DT water to fill the 20g tank and then with my fish in, my temp controlled start to low the salinity ?
How fast should I decrease the salinity?
How low should I go?
PLEASE HELP...!

In order to treat with hyposalinity you will need a refractometer to drop the salinity down to 1.009 - 1.010

Drop this down to that salinity level slowly over the course of a few days. You will have to keep an eye oh your pH when you are going through this because it can swing quite a bit. Yes you can use DT water, in fact I do my hyposalinity water changes with my DT water. I just drop the salinity down to the right level before putting it in.

Back on track after a big fail...

My 4 fish died. 2 tangs and 2 clowns

1. Everything was fine 'til I find out about this Ich thing.
2. All parameters were good.
3. I decided to go with hypo salinity for treatment but I think it was too late.
4. Since the disaster, I've made a few PWC (50%) and kept 2 emerald crabs and 2 nassarius.
5. Kept evtg running, heat, pumps etc, including light.
6. Tank has been "empty" for two months.

I know I still have a few weeks to go w/o fish. My questin is, can I add some corals? At least to make the wait a little less boring?
:thanks:

Sorry to hear that! It is a bummer to lose fish. Next time put each fish in a QT before the DT. Your tank was a bit small for tangs, that lowers their immune system through stress, and makes it hard for them to fight things off illness. Wish you best of luck with new fish!

Back on track

Hi everybody. After waiting almost 4 months with water changes only I finally put 2 fish and a coral for testing the tank again. They have been all fine, coral is growing (Zoa) and fish are happy.

What would you guys recommend as a method to dose calcium and if you know any link that could give me a step by step explanation.

Also, I'm wondering what to put in the middle chamber of my sump.... on the first one I have a skimmer and the drain. Nothing in the middle except for the heaters. Return pump in the 3rd chamber.

Is carbon and GFO good filtration (those like reactors)?

:fish2:

Back
Top Bottom