Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-30-2003, 01:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
step by step marine tank...too easy?

Can someone take a look at this site and tell me if they're right on or off on a few points? It would be most helpful. Thanks in advance!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/ar...id=169&aid=419

Old 07-30-2003, 10:52 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Yes and no.

The part where you wait 4 weeks whlie the rock cures is rather simplistic. They dont talk about monitoring the ammonia cycle to make sure the rock is cured and ready to add a clean up crew after 4 weeks. They also dont mention anything about cleaning the rock of dead or dieing mater.

Personally I would mix the salt first in a container then add it to the tank.

8 fish in a 46gal tank is a bit much in my mind also.

I think if you priced all that out on their site you would find that setup as they described would run you a couple thousand $$$.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 01:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Man, I hope caring for the tank will be easier than planning for it . What I'm really looking for is a basic step by step procedure for setting up a reef tank, and then getting a good idea of prices.

Quote:
I think if you priced all that out on their site you would find that setup as they described would run you a couple thousand $$$.
It works out to about $2500, but I'm going to do as much diy work as possible, find used equip, etc. to try and keep costs down.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The caring is easier because once you do all the reading up on the corals you want for your tank you will know how to take care of them, your best bet for corals is looking around for package deals, Fishfreek has a post about a couple places he has ordered corals from, one was Seacrop and the other ExoticFish.com both were package deals like 9 for 99. Here's the links on AA for what his experiences were:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=3830
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=3453

As far as setting one up I'm no expert, but your best bet is to see what kind of corals you want to keep and find out what the requirements are to keep them lighting wise and if they can danger any other corals you like. I guess what it comes down to is a lot of reading and then go from there.
Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com