steps in set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarheelblue2121

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone,

My tank finally arrived and am getting ready to set it up. Am going to have fish and LR only.

55 gal Tenecor Reef Ready
Wet/Dry Filter
Little Giant Pump 2-MDQX-SC 815 GPH
SeaClone 100 Protein Skimmer
MaxiJet PH MP1200 295 gph
2/Ebo-Jager 100W heaters
70lb CaribSea Seaflor Super Reef Sand
Hood with 2/96 watt bulbs

These were the steps that I was going to take next. Please let me
know if I am doing anything wrong or forget anything. Everything is
hooked up.

1. Need to get filter pad and activated carbon for sump?
2. Fill tank with tap water and make sure no leaks and everything
is running properly.
3. Empty tank and fill with saltwater.
4. Order about 75lbs of live rock and use that to cycle tank.
5. During cycling test and change water every 3-4 days

Am I forgetting anything? Am I doing anything wrong? What do I need
to be worried about?

Also, where is a good place to get a filter pad?

Thanks,
Steve

1.Check for leaks.
2.Put sand in tank.
3.Place a bowl on tank bottom use bowl to fill tank with FW and add salt or pre-mixed SW (the bowl will help prevent the sand bed from being disturbed)
3.Get filter and sump system running.
4.Add LR and start cycle....don't add the skimmer untill cycle is complete and you have some critters.
5.Test water every few days for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
6.When ammonia is zero and nitrite is zero..the nitrates should be elevated...do a water change of 20-30%...DON'T change water during the cycling process as this will only prolong it.

good advice from Jack. I'll only add you can keep lighting to a minimum during the cycle as well to help keep the chance of an algae bloom down. Light that tank for just a few hours a day (you still want some light for the things on the rock but you dont want intense prolonged light during the cycle.

coming from someone whe just set his up 3 days ago I would say when you are checking for leaks. Put everything like skimmer glass tops lighting filter powerheads etc.. together and make sure everything fits. I found out the hard way that everything else was not compatiable with my protein skimmer.. Messed up the glass tops the lights the whole nine. LFS will not take it back becasue It was used in water already. Also If you are gonna have a back put that on prior to putting everything else on and adding water..

Doan

jackdp said:
6.When ammonia is zero and nitrite is zero..the nitrates should be elevated...do a water change of 20-30%...DON'T change water during the cycling process as this will only prolong it.

I was told by my LFS and many other people who have had SW aquariums to do water changes even during the cycling process once every 3-4 days. Please advise and let me know because i am about to start a new 100 Gal SW tank.

The idea behind cycling a tank is to add ammonia to the water. This ammonia will feed nitrifying bacteria that will in turn process the ammonia into nitrite. The rise in nitrite will in turn feed another bacteria that will break down the nitrite into nitrates. Water changes will only decrease the levels of ammonia and nitrite in the water and slow the growth of the bacterial colonies. The tank will still cycle, the process just may tank longer. IMO The only time it would be beneficial to do water changes would be if you are cycling with live fish or live rock and want decrease the chances of critters dying due to the high levels of ammonia or nitrite.

Back
Top Bottom