Still cloudy after 24 hours?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uscamaro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After visiting the LFS I immediately started to get the 55g tank set up, I filled it, added salt and sand, dechlorinated it, then added the liverock. I just realized the picture I took yesterday didn't have lights on, but couldn't even see the rock, and now today, I can see it a little.

I was in a hurry because I had 27lbs of Figi rock in wet newspaper ready to go in, so I didn't wait for the salt to fully disolve, or the sand to settle. Now the liverock is covered in what looks like a dust. Is it the sand particles that's covering the rock, or is it the undisolved salt? (and is it bad?)

I didn't take any tests yet, so I'm not sure if it was the ammonia. I'm just trying to find out if it's normal looking like this after 24hrs. Also, could it be the extremely fine sand that I used? [I put down one 20lb bag of dry sand I rinsed, then two 20lb bags of live sand]

Attachments

• day 1.jpg
    day 1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 64
  • day 2.jpg
    day 2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 67
ammonia, nitrate, nitrite are all 0 and pH is 8.2-8.4 and salinity is 1.022

this might be due to salt and the sand...juz let it be....it would be clear later.....

yeap...it can last up to a week. it's because you didn't rinse the sand enough before adding it.
ezy has got the right idea- a mechanical filter will hurry it up.

Prob not but it wil last for a week or longer but it will clear up just keep running a filter even a simple aqua clear filter on the side with pads will help in clearing this up

Nah anything on your live rock will be fine. Add some filter pad or something to help grab the particulates and make sure you have a lot of flow but not blowing on the sand.

Back
Top Bottom