Still pretty new here..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kittykatt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum. I joined because I'm looking for help. I have a 10 gallon salt water tank at the moment. I got it out of necessity becuase I'm a hermit crab person and rescued a marine hermit crab. I got him all set up and my tank has been going for about 6 months. So, I had a lot of green a algae growing and he would eat that but I've noticed its not growing anymore... Should I be worried? I am feeding him other things. I have a lot of the nuisance anenomies in my tank.. How do you get rid of them? And last but not least.. I suddenly have hard white spots growing on my live rock and glass. When looking up close they're swirled and have like a tuft hanging out the end... Are these bad? Oh, and I also have these clear like white bugs that eat the algae too.. Are they ok?

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum. I joined because I'm looking for help. I have a 10 gallon salt water tank at the moment. I got it out of necessity becuase I'm a hermit crab person and rescued a marine hermit crab. I got him all set up and my tank has been going for about 6 months. So, I had a lot of green a algae growing and he would eat that but I've noticed its not growing anymore... Should I be worried? I am feeding him other things. I have a lot of the nuisance anenomies in my tank.. How do you get rid of them? And last but not least.. I suddenly have hard white spots growing on my live rock and glass. When looking up close they're swirled and have like a tuft hanging out the end... Are these bad? Oh, and I also have these clear like white bugs that eat the algae too.. Are they ok?

You setup a sw tank for one hermit? Wow haha lucky hermit crab. Onto your other questions, he will pick at any algae but you can give him supplemental sheets if you want. You can inject aiptasia(pest anemones) right in the mouth with lemon juice and that will kill them. The hard swirls are called spirobid worms and are harmless filter feeders. The white pugs are copepods and are also beneficial.

Yes... I love hermit crabs. we actually have a 55 gallon we will be setting up for him really soon and then he may have to share some space lol. Thank you for the welcome! :) do I need a syringe to inject them with the lemon juice? I have like 20 now in a 10 gallon tank.. -_- they mulitply like crazy. And so the lack of algae should be ok? My rock is still purple but there is very little green.
I love the quick response too!! :D

Yes... I love hermit crabs. we actually have a 55 gallon we will be setting up for him really soon and then he may have to share some space lol. Thank you for the welcome! :) do I need a syringe to inject them with the lemon juice? I have like 20 now in a 10 gallon tank.. -_- they mulitply like crazy. And so the lack of algae should be ok? My rock is still purple but there is very little green.
I love the quick response too!! :D

Haha you could have my hermits but I'm sure you probably live to far away. Mine are devils lol. Yes you will need a syringe for the lemon juice and I'd give the little guy some supplemental algae sheets once in a while to make sure he's getting food. Good luck :)

What kind of hermits do u have? I have a brown striped hermit crab. He's huge now. I'm scared to put fish in with him in the future lol. I had a pair of blue hermit crabs with him but he ate them

Back
Top Bottom