Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Still thinking and checking out options

This sand was recommended as a great starter for the tank.
CaribSea Arag-Alive Bahamas Oolite Aquarium Sand

I have been to several lfs featuring SW but haven't really looked into the specifics of the live sand and LR, costs, and where they are from Tahiti, Fiji, Florida(does it matter?).

Also was told just to get pool filter sand, not waste the $$ on the LS.

Is there a black sand option? I have a great sand blasting sand supply company nearby so could get something interesting, it is around 50 lbs for $16-22 depending what it is. Garnet sand is purple and looks pretty cool, also was told there might be a downside to dark sand. Any knowledge floating around about that?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Also found some really great looking "cherry Primo picked decorator live rock"
21 year growth and has lots of things growing on it. After looking at a bunch of things which can be on it I have another question.

Is it better to not get live rock which could have all kinds of bad stuff in it, like Cirolanid isopods, Gorilla crabs, and whatever else you might NOT want in your tank.

Now I am scared! lol

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I wouldn't do pool sand or the sand blasting sand as I imagine it has a lot of silicates in it. They do sell a black reef sand, I use it in 2 of my tanks. Also the arag "alive" isn't really live sand it's just wet sand, so just get the regular aragonite and save about $10 a bag

Old 03-11-2014, 10:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
I wouldn't do pool sand or the sand blasting sand as I imagine it has a lot of silicates in it. They do sell a black reef sand, I use it in 2 of my tanks. Also the arag "alive" isn't really live sand it's just wet sand, so just get the regular aragonite and save about $10 a bag
If you get LS from a fellow hobbyist, would that be suggested?

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ya a scoop or 2 of LS can seed you sand bed but keep it in water
Old 03-12-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
I disagree about the live sand. The stuff I got was actually very wet and I had a tonne of organisms from it- specifically pods. To my knowledge there are 2 kinds of live sand, one is slightly damp and the other is wet with noticeable water in the bag and also features an expiry date. If you get the wet sand and it's not expired it is truly live.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com