Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

its been about about a little over a month still trying to cycle my tank so broke the fishless cycle and bought 2 yellow tailed damsels 2 little hermits and one snail. I want to c if they can assist with my cycle pls forgive me.Can I get some feedback im open for critacism.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You tried adding a dead shrimp or ammonia? I know that not good if you didn't cycle the tank and add fish

Old 06-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

The damsels and hermits should be fine. The snail is questionable. You might want to do partial water changes periodically (10-25%) this will speed up the cycling process and keep you're animals alive.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Partial water changes do not speed up the cycle. In actuality it slows down the process. By taking away ammonia, the food source for nitrosomonas or nitrifying bacteria, you reduce the number of bacteria which then inhibits the amount of nitrobacters, or the bacteria which feeds on nitrites and produces nitrate as a result. PWC are only done during a fish in cycle in order to help keep the fish alive by keeping toxins down. To have a healthy fast cycle you must let nature take it's course and not deplete ammonia or nitrite until cycle is complete.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

how did you start the cycle off?whats your readings?
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

waiting a month is no way near enough time. i waited 5 months cycling with 2 pieces of shrimp. adding those 2 fish that early in the cycle is just going to kill them right away or have them sick at the bottom of the tank for a month before they die. i know this bc thats what i did after the first month of setting up my tank back in dec. .. i added two damsels, one died the next day and the other one survived for a month. he always stayed between or unrder the live rock. i dont even remember a time were he swam up to the top even if food was there. i fed him daily but never seen him actually eat. he survived a month so im guessing he ate some food. do yourself a favor, add some shrimp and forgot about your tank for a few months. i tested the water weekly and kept my heater, skimmer and filter running ffor 5 months before adding fish.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Scientifically 1 month is just about enough time. You have to understand once ammonia is introduced it typically takes 10 days for nitrifying bacteria to appear and feed off of the ammonia and turn it into nitrite. If the nitrite has the appropriate ammount of food source (ammonia) it'll usually take another 15 days or so for the next line of nitrifying bacteria to appear and feed off of the nitrite, producing nitrate. Around day 30 you should see a rapid drop of ammonia, and nitrite, and a rapid increase of nitrates. I'm sorry you had to wait a full 5 months but typically speaking a month is the normal time it takes. Because he has seen no ammonia I would worry that the cycle hasn't yet started. The appropriate ammount of ammonia according to the amount of gallons should be enough to kickstart the cycle. The damsels will definately start it off. The best bet would be to take them out and the cycle should take care of itself.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
my cycle took exactly 2 weeks
Old 06-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My longest cycle with sw was about 6 days with established rock and sand. Shortest has been no cycle with my established stuff.

It just depends on the tank and situation I think.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergie View Post
Scientifically 1 month is just about enough time. You have to understand once ammonia is introduced it typically takes 10 days for nitrifying bacteria to appear and feed off of the ammonia and turn it into nitrite.
There are a _lot_ of factors in cycle speed. Seed bacteria, temperature, ammonia levels, water quality, photosyntisis in the system, etc... never use time to measure a cycle's progress.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, cycled, led, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com