Stock help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
I changed up my stock idea a little. please confirm if this is ok.

- black percula clown
- orange percula clown
-yellow watchman goby
- 6 line wrasse (I want a good swimmer)
- snails
- 2 cleaner shrimp
- a few blue hermits?

-torch coral
-hammer coral
-polyps
-mushrooms
-brain

And a few Aptasia (still killing those freakin things ha). Thank you too all who gave me advice on then!!!

28g nano-601-Led professional. Is this list ok, tank only has snails now.

Yeah that'd be good but the ONLY problem you might run into is the black clown and the normal, I've seen them pair up tons of times but they usually fight alot before they actually get used to each other and the black one's are a little stringer than the normal do, I'm not saying you shouldn't do it but it might cause a little trouble until they get friendly with each other

Cool, I ended up going with two ocellaris clowns that have black fins. Five blue hermit crabs. Also got a mushroom frag and a Duncan frag. Didn't see any torch frags.

They said I was over kill on my lights. The cube has 25 3w LEDs. How should I use them. Should I acclimate them or ?

That's cool! Could I see a pic of the clowns you purchased?
What do they mean overkill?
Yes, definitely drip acclimate them, some people say you don't need to but I'd rather drip acclimate and take some time then lose a piece of coral! Even if it is just a small frag, money is money

My salinity is at 1.027 theirs was at 1.025. I am going to add some RO water. I dripped acclimated but I'm afraid it will hurt the coral or fish before I can get to the store to get the water.

Oh yeah those are pretty! These are mine! If you can't get water to lower the salinity 1.027 isnt too far off from what you need, they will be alright for the night until you can get some more to lower it...or just add freshwater?

Just run to the grocery store and buy two gallons of distilled water. Take a half gallon out of saltwater and add the distilled. Check your salinity. Repeat until at 1.025.

Readingexcalibur said:
I changed up my stock idea a little. please confirm if this is ok.

- black percula clown
- orange percula clown
-yellow watchman goby
- 6 line wrasse (I want a good swimmer)
- snails
- 2 cleaner shrimp
- a few blue hermits?

-torch coral
-hammer coral
-polyps
-mushrooms
-brain

And a few Aptasia (still killing those freakin things ha). Thank you too all who gave me advice on then!!!

28g nano-601-Led professional. Is this list ok, tank only has snails now.

I think this stock is a little heavy. You may want to remove a fish or two.

If he has the right amount of live rock and does his weekly water changes then he will be fine

The clown fish I bought are 1 inch and 1.5 inch. I plan on doing weekly water changes. I have about 25p of live rock. So I just got home and did the RO water. Is it suppose to look... Unclear when you add it. It make the water kinda refract like when you add conditioner or something then quickly cleared up.

Also, these being my first corals. The mushroom keeps lifting his sides and seems a little smaller than at the lfs, is this normal?

Oh, and do I need to check anything other than salinity, nitrate, and ammonia for the corals? Nothing like buying something you dont know a whole lot about haha. I did read I may have to feed the Duncan live brine shrimp tho.

Readingexcalibur said:
Oh, and do I need to check anything other than salinity, nitrate, and ammonia for the corals? Nothing like buying something you dont know a whole lot about haha. I did read I may have to feed the Duncan live brine shrimp tho.

You need to test
Salinity
Ph
Alk
Calcium
Trate
Trites
Ammonia
Phosphates

Your Duncan's should get some form of food. Preferably some phyto and maybe a spot feed of some food once a week (but not too large in size)

Also- if you are going to dose it because you are not using reef crystals you will need to test magnesium and iodine

Yeah, you just put him in there, it might be a couple of days until you seem happy like at the lfs...
Yeah, I would also calcium and pH.
If you don't have the test kits for these you can just take them into your lfs and they can test it for you

Thank again for the advice! I do have an API master freshwater test kit. I guess the color cards are a little different. I guess I should still go buy a reef test kit. It was nice to wake up and see the Duncan out and moving its tenticals. They are neon green and purple. The clowns seem happy to.

I do have one more question. I have hikarii brine shrimp cubes with added sprilina algae. I normally feed my fresh water tank with these. Can I feed the clowns this? I was reading they don't really go for the pellets, especially when they are young like mine.

You can pretty much feed them whatever they will eat. :) My clowns happen to like enriched brine and so do my other fish. They need some greens so the spriulina is a good choice.

The mysis is a frozen cube as well?

Carey, I agree with you on the greens. Really does great with my rams in my FW tank.

Also, will this food be for my soon to be yellow watchman goby and 6 line wrasse? Lastly, can I spot feed my Duncan coral with melted cube brine?

Back
Top Bottom