Stock ideas for a new 150g... First saltwater experience!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jess1ca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello! Just acquired a new 150g. I already keep a few FW water tanks, decided to join the saltwater community :) got a sweet deal off Craigslist almost ready for salt. Needs some cleaning and need to do a lot of reasearch still. There are some fish that have inspired me to do this that I would like to keep, but could probably be swayed because I don't know what they would be compatible with.... The fish I fell in love with are a Porcupine Puffer, Foxface Lo and my husband insists in clowns :) Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Research, research, and research.... Honestly, theres prob 100 different "tips" we could give you to help you in your first sw venture, but short of writing them down youll never remember. Start by reading all the stickies here in the sw forums, thatll give you a basic idea. Just for giggles ill include a basic rundown of the equipment needed.

Tank (duh)
Stand (really duh)
Light fixture- should be based on what your uktimate goal is with the tank ie. coral/non-coral, fowlr/fo
Powerheads-10x-15x water volume for fowlr/fo, 30x-35x for coral/reef
Heater- 1-3w PER gallon
Filtration- preferably some form of sump or refugium. Could run live rock rubble or macroalgae in it
Protein skimmer- always go a size bigger:)
Return pump- i recommend danner magdrives
Live rock- 1-2 lbs per gallon roughly ( doesnt have to be 100% live rock, could do 75% base rock/25% live rock, but you would need to cycle it)
Substrate- crushed coral/ argonite/ pool filter sand

Think that about covers it
••edit••
in terms of supplies youll need
Refractometer (google it to find good deal;). )
API or Safialert master test kit (will test all nexessary chem levels)
Thermometer
RO/DI unit
1-2 decent surge protectors
Should be about it for necessities... Now there are a few add-ons that would make life easier and serve you well.
Possibily a small storage room or cupboard area for storage.
3-4 5g buckets
Coral gloves
Digital ph monitor
Outlet timers (for lights/blues/etc)
10g or 20g tank for hospital/qt tank
---in that tank id run a simple sponge filter with a bubbler and heater... No substrate, nothing fancy.

huma-huma said:
Research, research, and research.... Honestly, theres prob 100 different "tips" we could give you to help you in your first sw venture, but short of writing them down youll never remember. Start by reading all the stickies here in the sw forums, thatll give you a basic idea. Just for giggles ill include a basic rundown of the equipment needed.

Tank (duh)
Stand (really duh)
Light fixture- should be based on what your uktimate goal is with the tank ie. coral/non-coral, fowlr/fo
Powerheads-10x-15x water volume for fowlr/fo, 30x-35x for coral/reef
Heater- 1-3w PER gallon
Filtration- preferably some form of sump or refugium. Could run live rock rubble or macroalgae in it
Protein skimmer- always go a size bigger:)
Return pump- i recommend danner magdrives
Live rock- 1-2 lbs per gallon roughly ( doesnt have to be 100% live rock, could do 75% base rock/25% live rock, but you would need to cycle it)
Substrate- crushed coral/ argonite/ pool filter sand

Think that about covers it

Thanks for your reply! I have a ton of learning to do yet! I can't even really begin to tell you what I have because I dont know much about them haha! I got it off Craigslist today, scored it all for $100... I know there is some things I still need and have to learn. Heard that I can't do coral until my tank matures some, right? so I'd like to make what I have work until Im ready... Here are some pics of what I got so far... I have 20lbs of live rock waiting for me and I'm trading some fry to a fish store for more soon. Am I supposed to put some kind of media In the sump?? I'm so clueless!!! I'm sorry for being so saltwater illiterate!!! I honestly don't even know how to put this together... Kinda feelin like I'm in over my head a little!!!!

Attachments

• image-2890735208.jpg
    image-2890735208.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 86
  • image-592917670.jpg
    image-592917670.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 72
  • image-1286876290.jpg
    image-1286876290.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 70
  • image-1208997187.jpg
    image-1208997187.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3128103659.jpg
    image-3128103659.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 93
  • image-577399325.jpg
    image-577399325.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 66
  • image-417777973.jpg
    image-417777973.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 88
  • image-2420554000.jpg
    image-2420554000.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 83
  • image-2241827518.jpg
    image-2241827518.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Idk about that light setup, may wanna look into a newer simpler setup. A 6 bulb t5 fixture would work pretty well. As for the sump and everything else, just do a ton of reading, especially in these forums. Youd be suprised how quickly youll pick it up. 6 months from now youll look back and wonder how you got so far

Back
Top Bottom